Cambodia Or Vietnam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodia Or Vietnam

Post by Zhivago451 »

The cost of living for a single person is only slightly different between Cambodia and Vietnam. So my question for those who have been to and or lived in both countries is...which country do you prefer? Do you like Ho Chi Minh City better or Phnom Penh? Do you think the Cambodian girls are more beautiful or the Vietnamese girls? Do you find it easier to ride a moto in HCMC or Phnom Penh? and Is it easier for a foreigner to get work in Cambodia or Vietnam? Tell me about your experiences ^_^
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodia Or Vietnam

Post by hanno »

I do not like HCMC but prefer it to mPP. Pretty girls in both countries though I do not see how that would be a deciding factor. Riding a bike is shit in both cities but a tad easier in PP. Finding work depends on qualifications in both countries.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

I'm in my fifth year living in HCMC, frequent traveller to Cambodia.

Your question is very broad: what sort of work are you looking to do? In my line of work, I'm not aware of any similar opportunities in PP, so HCMC it is for me, if I want to lie in this part of the world. My company covers all work permit/TRC issues, which seem fairly straightforward to me, if a bit onerous.

HCMC is much larger than PP, and is a bustling, crowded developing city. But it's got a great range of restaurants and bars (if that's your thing), and the shopping gets better every year, even as the traffic and air get worse every year.

Girls are a matter of taste, but as Hanno stated, would that really be such a critical factor for deciding where to live? lol
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

If your focus is on work, then definitely do research on VN because the economy there is still fairly robust and it's a much larger market than Cambodia.

So, I feel certain there are more opportunities in VN although I am not sure what all foreigners are allowed to do and what there is demand for. Most foreigners seem to be opening their own school, restaurant, import-export business, etc.

Anyway, personally I never liked Sài Gòn. As mentioned, it's improving in some ways but there are other cities to choose from as well.

If you're in PP, then just take a trip and have a look for yourself. The bus ride is alright. Just make sure you arrange your VN visa beforehand.

In terms of women, I think you'll find that the VNese are more attractive, especially if you like chicks with glasses. Unfortunately, most are married with kid(s) by the age of 25.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Start living in the land where you feel comfortable. Than you enjoy the advances more and you can better cope with the dis-advances.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm the VNese are more attractive
Heresy
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

been in cambodia 10 + years.....
go to vietnam a lot
the visa issue for some is more costly in vietnam as you have to leave every 90 days
the food and beer in vietnam is far superior in my opinion
cambodia used to offer more of a wild west kind of feel but that has changed
now it's just more crowded and a lot more stupid
vietnam has wonderful parks and is way more civilized.
thinking of making the move soon
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I've lived in PP and outside HCMC (and Thailand). I like Sidewalker's recommendation that you live where you immediately feel comfortable.

Otherwise, I believe the only thing you should be concerned about are work opportunities. HCMC and Vietnam are on a huge upward growth curve, with many American companies in China seriously considering moving all their manufacturing out of China (trade war) into Vietnam. Plus the Japanese have just announced plans to spend $billions in VN on new and expanded facilities and services.

HCMC is working on two huge metro subway lines so that by 2020 or so, traffic ought to feel a bit less head-smacking crazy. Another thing is the city has tree-lined streets and parks in many areas, as well as exclusive pedestrian areas. And are expanding those to give folks more relief. So it's not all concrete and glass.

I love visiting HCMC for one or two nights at most. Then I need to get my old butt back to the ocean side of Vung Tau. But young business people should thrive in The City.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Mr Know It All wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pmthe visa issue for some is more costly in vietnam as you have to leave every 90 days
I don't. Proper work permit and residence card.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pmHCMC is working on two huge metro subway lines so that by 2020 or so, traffic ought to feel a bit less head-smacking crazy. Another thing is the city has tree-lined streets and parks in many areas, as well as exclusive pedestrian areas. And are expanding those to give folks more relief. So it's not all concrete and glass.
Don't hold your breath; last I heard the subway/sky train have stalled in both HCMC and Ha Noi. And anyway, too little too late. They need to find some radical solutions but it probably won't happen. Ha Noi is one of the most polluted cities in the world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic