Whats good about Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Whats good about PP?

Post by whiteribbon »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:37 pm
Arget wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm
Really? I thought they were bloody expensive last I looked. =@
I know of 3 ex snooky blokes that have moved there ( Vung Tau) in the last 6 months, that are now moving back to Cambodia. Apparently Vietnam in the last couple of weeks/month or so, has had a major change to their visa regs and you must now do a border run every 3 months, even on a retirement visa. Apparently visa costs have gone up about 3X also.
if they can't afford to pay for their (cheap) visa they better move back home.
just noise, white noise
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Arget wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am Whats good about nam v. Cambo?

I

Advantages of VN include low COL, easier cheaper long-term visas, the positive economic situation and development, and stable government without a 'strong man' leader, which make it a somewhat comfortable easy place to reside long-term. The main cities (HCMC & HN) aren't very good though. Also, similar to the whole region, there's tropical weather and most of the people are nice.
Really? I thought they were bloody expensive last I looked. =@
This time last year I was quoted $220 + 135 stamping for AU passport for one year. Now 6mo and 1yr have been suspended I'm waiting to see if they relax it again. The agent I contacted last year says you can renew the 3mo one without doing a visa run, but I need to confirm that.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm
Where in Cambodia will they move back to, Kampot or Kep ?
Siem Reap and PP seem to be the choices now. Both cheaper then Kampot currently and the influx of a few "snookugee's" won't change that.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm
Siem Reap and PP seem to be the choices now. Both cheaper then Kampot currently and the influx of a few "snookugee's" won't change that.
Basically not only has Cambodia lost a lot of what was initially so attractive to expats, but choice of locations are limited. With theiregards not so perfect neighbouring countries expats may choose Phnom Penh.

But you will either love or hate it. The streets have garbage problems and the place needs a serious makeover. Stop asking why people like it and try find out if it's your kinda place.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm
Maybe not cheaper than Kampot yet, but I do note asking rent prices for houses in Kampot have gone up around 30-50% in the last 18 months.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Whats good about Phnom Penh?

Post by fax »

Did somebody say paintball?
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

" In Panama City, Panama theres many happy ending and boom boom massages but theres also a ton of positive diversity, economic, and business growth. Safety, "

It is NOT true that Panama city Panama is relatively safe.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

zmth wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:22 am " In Panama City, Panama theres many happy ending and boom boom massages but theres also a ton of positive diversity, economic, and business growth. Safety, "

The guy who wrote that has never been to Panama City.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am
zmth wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:22 am " In Panama City, Panama theres many happy ending and boom boom massages but theres also a ton of positive diversity, economic, and business growth. Safety, "

The guy who wrote that has never been to Panama City.
Maybe the upper class areas are safe ish in comparison to the dodgy areas. I dunno what it's like today but I hear of many Americans living there .

When I was there many years ago I stayed in the old part, and it was full of delinquency.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 am
Hotdigr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm Siem Reap and PP seem to be the choices now. Both cheaper then Kampot currently and the influx of a few "snookugee's" won't change that.
Maybe not cheaper than Kampot yet, but I do note asking rent prices for houses in Kampot have gone up around 30-50% in the last 18 months.
I've been told by a couple of guys lately that SR has better places at cheaper rent now. Food is definitely better in both PP and SR. When I moved here to Kampot, I had heard it touted as a "foodies paradise" what a bloody joke! I don't mind paying a bit more for decent food, but really "foodies paradise" is such an exaggeration it's ridiculous!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic