Whats good about Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Whats good about PP?

Post by Arget »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am Whats good about nam v. Cambo?

I

Advantages of VN include low COL, easier cheaper long-term visas, the positive economic situation and development, and stable government without a 'strong man' leader, which make it a somewhat comfortable easy place to reside long-term. The main cities (HCMC & HN) aren't very good though. Also, similar to the whole region, there's tropical weather and most of the people are nice.
Really? I thought they were bloody expensive last I looked. =@
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 am

Good info Kuroneko
Hows the air quality on Chroy Changvar ?
Are there any nice areas around Chroy Changvar to go walking or bicycling ?

Kayve
Is the bridge traffic mainly an issue for peak hour commute times, or all day ?
Air quality in Chroy Changvar is subjectively good where I am on the banks of the Mekong River, and I mean by that, that it is not noticeable. Particulate matter, ie PM2.5 is well under 25 micrograms per cubic metre which is the WHO guideline. I mention this because this sort of air pollution is not generally noticeable. If you are not familiar with this here's some infor from EPA Vic. Aus. https://www.epa.vic.gov.au/your-environ ... les-in-air

Silk island across from my condo is a good place for walking or bicycling and the ferry to cross over is about a couple of k's north of where I live. I think phuketrichard lived on the island for a while and he may have some info.

If you drive a moto the bridge is not too much of a hassle as another bridge opened recently in Russey Kao just north of The Chinese bridge, The repairs to the Japanese bridge which is next to the Chinese bridge are well advanced and will make a great improvement one completed. My speed across the bridge is in the order of 30-40 kms/hr. The congestion is usually on the roundabouts at each end of the bridge.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Whats good about Phnom Penh?

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Anyone up for paintballing?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Toxic. Have you been yet or are you just in the reading books stage
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

sigmoid wrote: ↑ Whats good about nam v. Cambo?

I

Advantages of VN include low COL, easier cheaper long-term visas, the positive economic situation and development, and stable government without a 'strong man' leader, which make it a somewhat comfortable easy place to reside long-term. The main cities (HCMC & HN) aren't very good though. Also, similar to the whole region, there's tropical weather and most of the people are nice.
Really? I thought they were bloody expensive last I looked.
You very well may have a point there. I don't actually know the cost of long-term visas for Cambodia. I was mostly thinking in general terms and specifically about Laos, for some reason.

Also, seppos like myself get a special price. Anyway, this year I paid $315 for one year but had to go out and fly back in. Last year I paid $370 but didn't go anywhere. My agent came by and picked up my passport and dropped it off the following week.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Arget wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm
I know of 3 ex snooky blokes that have moved there ( Vung Tau) in the last 6 months, that are now moving back to Cambodia. Apparently Vietnam in the last couple of weeks/month or so, has had a major change to their visa regs and you must now do a border run every 3 months, even on a retirement visa. Apparently visa costs have gone up about 3X also.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:37 pm
Arget wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm
I know of 3 ex snooky blokes that have moved there ( Vung Tau) in the last 6 months, that are now moving back to Cambodia. Apparently Vietnam in the last couple of weeks/month or so, has had a major change to their visa regs and you must now do a border run every 3 months, even on a retirement visa. Apparently visa costs have gone up about 3X also.
Where in Cambodia will they move back to, Kampot or Kep ?
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm
Where in Cambodia will they move back to, Kampot or Kep ?
Should that matter? Everyone has their own preference. Sure Kampot seems the" in place", but that was only because of Snookie. They probably would prefer elsewhere. Others move to Capital or Reap or Provinces....Up 2u
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

The road to Siem Reap :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

...a life I used to lead...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic