I’m rich to others, poor to you ...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

I’m rich to others, poor to you ...

Post by newkidontheblock »

A few or missus’ friends have worrisome behaviors. On Facebook they post how rich they are. Go on holiday, eat at expensive restaurants, buy luxury items, etc. Yet complain to missus how desperately poor they are - ask her for loans, ask her to cook food, borrow clothes, etc. During the ‘rich’ times, no thought of inviting her to join. But during the poor times, numero uno. Latest drama is that one is threatening to kill himself in Thailand in her presence unless she gives him a thousand. Plus pays for the cost for him to go to Thailand to do said deed.

Is this just normal Khmer psychology?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: I’m rich to others, poor to you ...

Post by kiwiincambodia »

What?

A male “friend” is asking your wife to pay and go with him to Thailand so he can off himself?

That’s bizarre even by Khmer standards (not to be disrespectful) but is he an ex boyfriend? Sounds like a lot of the love struck suicides you see so often on Khmer Facebook.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I always thought 'keeping up appearances' was British.

Until I came to Cambodia.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I smell bullshit... at least w/ girls.... they are most likely with guys and just post pics by themselves.. ..Seen it first hand...
Treated some girl at Aeon Mall = she wanted burger king.. ok.. i know, really classy lol
we take a few pics and of course some of her own...

happen to look at her fb page later in day and says " alone eating at burger king".. hahah i said to her wtf wrong with u?... who paid for that food you ate? she apologized and took it down.
Fast forward another year ( we stopped talking like that) and happen to see her fb page and she posted pics of her at some fancy restaurant drinking wine, her at a roof top pool , roof top bar. possibly sun and moon

anyway always by herself...No way she can afford that ish...Obviously some dude was paying for it ( based on my personal experience) and i remember giving her ass rice cause she had no food b..smh

Just happen to re-read ur initial email... I agree w/ other poster.. Sounds like an ex bf who knows she has a barang and he trying to get some money ..and her female friends possibly do what i mentioned.
If dude wants to kill himself, why go to thailand? He using emotional blackmail... tell him to fuck off... It's good she is letting you know about this.. Please don't tell me ur gonna give the money
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

unless she gives him a thousand
Pay 1,000 riel to this plonker or he'll top himself? I suppose it won't break the bank....
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 am A few or missus’ friends have worrisome behaviors. On Facebook they post how rich they are. Go on holiday, eat at expensive restaurants, buy luxury items, etc. Yet complain to missus how desperately poor they are - ask her for loans, ask her to cook food, borrow clothes, etc. During the ‘rich’ times, no thought of inviting her to join. But during the poor times, numero uno. Latest drama is that one is threatening to kill himself in Thailand in her presence unless she gives him a thousand. Plus pays for the cost for him to go to Thailand to do said deed.

Yes this is normal for many Cambodians. But many foreigners only understand Cambodians at a superficial level. Watch the people attack me for saying this.

Most Cambodians display how important they are. This can be seen in many things they do.

You will see boys and men hitting each other. This is saying I am tougher than you.

People on the road never give way unless they have to, as that would be displaying they are inferior. This attitude makes it very difficult to have safe roads.

They all want expensive motorbikes or cars.

Women want expensive jewelry, and display it.

Women like to gamble so they can display how much money they have.

They will get a motodop or tuk tuk for short distances, as only poor people walk.

When eating at restaurants, they will not eat all of the food, to give people the impression they are wealthy.

When some beautiful Cambodian women marry foreign men, they think they have become superior to other Cambodians and treat them badly. Normally only when the husband is not there to witness it.

In Cambodia, wealthy people are threated well, and poor people are treated badly, so most people try to act like they are better off than they are.

Many Cambodians will try any way they can to get money from foreigners. In your case the missus.

A loan becomes a gift. Dont expect to get the money back.

With the one is threatening to kill himself, it may be a bluff. But there are some people who will carry through with things like this. It is very likely he will try to make it look like she murdered him, or else make it look like she caused him so much emotional pressure he committed suicide. Either way, he wants to make it look like it is her fault.

The only safe course is to totally disassociate from him. He will only do it if he can make it look like it is her fault. If she does not associate with him at all, it is difficult to make it look like it is her fault.

Who is this man? Is he her husband? Did you marry someone who was already married? Ask the tough questions. Cambodian women will tell foreign men they are single or divorced, when they are married. When the foreign man loves them, they will actually leave the husband.

Never give in to manipulation or blackmail. She may have given in to some demands already. Now that she is a soft target, the demands are getting bigger. If necessary talk to his family, so they all know what is going on. If necessary go to the Police.

To other readers, be careful who you get mixed up with. I will mention one example. There are foreign men who get a Cambodian girlfriend. When they break up, she reports him to the police on false charges, and he gets put in jail. He cant prove anything, so he is guilty.

Yes this is normal for many Cambodians.

There are also many very good Cambodian girls, who make very good wives. Instead of dating a girl you met around a bar, date a university student, or a girl who has finished university and is now working. There are thousands of them. You need to be a decent man for a girl like this to like you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 am A few or missus’ friends have worrisome behaviors. On Facebook they post how rich they are. Go on holiday, eat at expensive restaurants, buy luxury items, etc. Yet complain to missus how desperately poor they are - ask her for loans, ask her to cook food, borrow clothes, etc. During the ‘rich’ times, no thought of inviting her to join. But during the poor times, numero uno. Latest drama is that one is threatening to kill himself in Thailand in her presence unless she gives him a thousand. Plus pays for the cost for him to go to Thailand to do said deed.

Yes this is normal for many Cambodians. But many foreigners only understand Cambodians at a superficial level. Watch the people attack me for saying this.

Most Cambodians display how important they are. This can be seen in many things they do.

You will see boys and men hitting each other. This is saying I am tougher than you.

People on the road never give way unless they have to, as that would be displaying they are inferior. This attitude makes it very difficult to have safe roads.

They will get a motodop or tuk tuk for short distances, as only poor people walk.

When eating at restaurants, they will not eat all of the food, to give people the impression they are wealthy.

When some beautiful Cambodian women marry foreign men, they think they have become superior to other Cambodians and treat them badly. Normally only when the husband is not there to witness it.

In Cambodia, wealthy people are threated well, and poor people are treated badly, so most people try to act like they are better off than they are.

Many Cambodians will try any way they can to get money from foreigners. In your case the missus.

With the one is threatening to kill himself, it may be a bluff. But there are some people who will carry through with things like this. It is very likely he will try to make it look like she murdered him, or else make it look like she caused him so much emotional pressure he committed suicide. Either way, he wants to make it look like it is her fault.

The only safe course is to totally disassociate from him. He will only do it if he can make it look like it is her fault. If she does not associate with him at all, it is difficult to make it look like it is her fault.

Who is this man? Is he her husband? Did you marry someone who was already married? Ask the tough questions. Cambodian women will tell foreign men they are single or divorced, when they are married. When the foreign man loves them, they will actually leave the husband.

Never give in to manipulation or blackmail. She may have given in to some demands already. Now that she is a soft target, the demands are getting bigger. If necessary talk to his family, so they all know what is going on. If necessary go to the Police.

To other readers, be careful who you get mixed up with. I will mention one example. There are foreign men who get a Cambodian girlfriend. When they break up, she reports him to the police on false charges, and he gets put in jail. He cant prove anything, so he is guilty.

There are also many very good Cambodian girls, who make very good wives. Instead of dating a girl you met around a bar, date a university student, or a girl who has finished university and is now working. There are thousands of them. You need to be a decent man for a girl like this to like you.
Have you been around for long explorer? While there's some truth, your analysis seems pretty superficial to me.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:46 am
explorer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 am

Have you been around for long explorer? While there's some truth, your analysis seems pretty superficial to me.
for most part, pretty spot on if u see khmers FB pages...
:please: lol;;;;The jails would be full of Barangs
"To other readers, be careful who you get mixed up with. I will mention one example. There are foreign men who get a Cambodian girlfriend. When they break up, she reports him to the police on false charges, and he gets put in jail. He cant prove anything, so he is guilty."
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:46 am
He hasn't been here long, he's another 2-minute-expert.
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 amLatest drama is that one is threatening to kill himself in Thailand in her presence unless she gives him a thousand. Plus pays for the cost for him to go to Thailand to do said deed.

No, it sounds like you got yourself involved in another clusterfuck.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic