retirement visa

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
2be994510
Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm
Reputation: 5
United States of America

retirement visa

Post by 2be994510 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Guys: Newbie here. As of January 1, 2019 U.S. Consulate will not provide retirement affidavit for Thai immigration in order to obtain a one year retirement visa. Therefore if the Thai immigration does not accept my retirement income from 2 sources then I am contemplating of heading for Cambodia. How easy is it to obtain a one year retirement visa in Cambodia and where should I head for to start out again? Pros and cons invited.

Bob
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2793
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 683
New Zealand

Re: retirement visa

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Search function
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10309
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1752
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: retirement visa

Post by Username Taken » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:05 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:02 pm
Search function
Or, just scroll to the bottom of this page. There are several recent similar topics.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
Rogue
Expatriate
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 am
Reputation: 19
Honduras

Re: retirement visa

Post by Rogue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 am

2be994510 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Guys: Newbie here. As of January 1, 2019 U.S. Consulate will not provide retirement affidavit for Thai immigration in order to obtain a one year retirement visa. Therefore if the Thai immigration does not accept my retirement income from 2 sources then I am contemplating of heading for Cambodia. How easy is it to obtain a one year retirement visa in Cambodia and where should I head for to start out again? Pros and cons invited.

Bob
Lucky Lucky on Monivong does mine for 300.00, no paperwork or questions asked. In and done in about 7 days.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1707
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: retirement visa

Post by phuketrichard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am

2be994510 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Guys: Newbie here. As of January 1, 2019 U.S. Consulate will not provide retirement affidavit for Thai immigration in order to obtain a one year retirement visa. Therefore if the Thai immigration does not accept my retirement income from 2 sources then I am contemplating of heading for Cambodia. How easy is it to obtain a one year retirement visa in Cambodia and where should I head for to start out again? Pros and cons invited.

Bob
wait wait,it will change and they will provide how we can show our income or get the 800,000
U've can go get the letter before dec 31st so its good for6 months if your extension is due before July 30, (u can do 1 month in advance)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Reputation: 196
Nigeria

Re: retirement visa

Post by Cowshed Cowboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am
2be994510 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Guys: Newbie here. As of January 1, 2019 U.S. Consulate will not provide retirement affidavit for Thai immigration in order to obtain a one year retirement visa. Therefore if the Thai immigration does not accept my retirement income from 2 sources then I am contemplating of heading for Cambodia. How easy is it to obtain a one year retirement visa in Cambodia and where should I head for to start out again? Pros and cons invited.

Bob
wait wait,it will change and they will provide how we can show our income or get the 800,000
U've can go get the letter before dec 31st so its good for6 months if your extension is due before July 30, (u can do 1 month in advance)
Bob does say, " Therefore if ". It seems prudent to start investigating a back-up strategy, which we should all have anyway, when it's my future at stake I wouldn't want to be relying on guessing a host country will amend it's requirements because a couple of foreign countries decide they are no longer prepared to play ball, especially in the current climate.

Like you say the early letter is a good idea to buy more time to investigate other options if your renewal fits in that timeframe.

I'm guessing a fair few would have been banking on Vietnam but reading other threads they appear to have suddenly tightened up their options.
Never trust a man who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
User avatar
dennis.phelps
Tourist
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: retirement visa

Post by dennis.phelps » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I live in Khon Kaen Thailand... I myself am thinking of going to Cambodia....The cost is about the same at the end of the day for the Visa's
Thailand immigration will have you go get forms they don't need & run you around until you pay the bribe ..

Cambodia . Show where you live ... Any kind of bank statement from your country proven you have i'' think '' A round $650 to $700 a month
Give the girl at the Travel agent a little rice money $10 And go on you way . Come back in the same day up to two business days pick your passport up ....

Bottom line is this ..Phnom Penh Did not have Investor put $$$$$$$$$ to build all those new hotel they have been building for no reason ..
This is a well thought out plain & They will suck the money out of Farang in Thailand

FOR USA RETIREMENT PEOPLE . GO TO U.S EMBASSY WEB SITE READ THIS FOR YOURSELF .

NOTICE: Beginning January 1, 2019, U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai will no longer provide the income affidavit. We will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit. For more information, please refer to our Fact Sheet (PDF 266KB) and Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 419KB). We will continue to notarize income affidavit forms through the end of 2018. Thai Immigration Bureau officials confirmed that they will support early visa renewals for U.S. citizens during the transition period.
User avatar
LOVE ASIA
Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:09 pm
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: retirement visa

Post by LOVE ASIA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Rogue wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 am
2be994510 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Guys: Newbie here. As of January 1, 2019 U.S. Consulate will not provide retirement affidavit for Thai immigration in order to obtain a one year retirement visa. Therefore if the Thai immigration does not accept my retirement income from 2 sources then I am contemplating of heading for Cambodia. How easy is it to obtain a one year retirement visa in Cambodia and where should I head for to start out again? Pros and cons invited.

Bob
Lucky Lucky on Monivong does mine for 300.00, no paperwork or questions asked. In and done in about 7 days.
Just spoke with Lucky Lucky. She told me 2 weeks now. $299 plus $2+ for processing. Nice lady! I'm 63, no paperwork involved.Indonesia and Thailand is so painful
when you are getting older doing visa runs. Making it harder for foreigners I think, don't know why.
User avatar
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm
Reputation: 188
Cambodia

Re: retirement visa

Post by armchairlawyer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:34 pm

I love the $2+ for processing!
Try A2Z Travel, corner 130 and 19. $285 plus nothing for processing.
User avatar
LOVE ASIA
Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:09 pm
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: retirement visa

Post by LOVE ASIA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm

At immigration in Indonesia it has become very unwelcoming. Like they don't want you there, or give me a bribe bastard! Especially if you are an Ozzie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aem, Anchor Moy, AndyKK, angkorjohn2, Anthony's Weiner, Arget, bittermelon, Clemen, clutchcargo, Comrade Elmo Felo, frank lee bent, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jd1965, Jim Gil, John Bingham, LIVIDZX, Majestic-12 [Bot], mihana69, nikki, onico, Orloff, Patcan, shnoukieBRO, Troydeere and 417 guests