Is sex addiction a thing?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is sex addiction a thing?

Post by bobsboots »

sklmeera wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am sklmeera - Let me ask you - if he played golf twice a week (which would cost a lot more than two bar girls a week) and he thought about golf all the time, watched golf on TV every night and was obsessed with the game- would you tell him to stop feeding his pathetic addiction?

I highly doubt it. You'd praise the guy for being so active and healthy.

You can get injured playing sport.
You can spend a fortune playing sport.
You can play sport with a million different partners if you want to.

Why is sex different?
Bad sex and masturbation shows a deep lack of self respect . Why do you think all these old guys are jumping out of skyscrapers in Pattaya for example ? Its not because they played too much golf .
"Bad sex and masturbation shows a deep lack of self respect ."

Really ? Would you care to elaborate on that ? I'm sure there are many here who would like an explanation.

"Why do you think all these old guys are jumping out of skyscrapers in Pattaya for example? "

The reason why people, through sheer desperation and some courage, throw themselves off skyscrapers in Pattaya, and the rest of the world, is because they suffer from depression and have no-one to talk to or help them. Mind you, If I were forced to play too much golf, I just might head to the nearest skyscraper.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

So what about the dopamine rushes in the couples who’ve been married 50-70 years? Aka, married their childhood sweethearts and stayed married until the day they died?

Just stirring the pot ...

There are good addictions and bad addictions.
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

PhnomPenhPat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:29 pm I was recently watching a video on Youtube about 'Hyper Sexual Disorder' (HSD) and realised that I ticked off the majority of the boxes. At first I was skeptical about sex addiction as I presumed every man had my insatiable appetite for sexual encounters, especially in a place like Phnom Penh. However, after talking to some friends, it seems that maybe I do have a problem.

I masturbate a lot (usually 2 or 3 times a day), and I pay for sex at least twice a week and have been doing so for years. It's so bad that I would rather be late for work than not knock one out when I get up. I find myself thinking about sex a lot and planning sexual adventures throughout the day. I'm always thinking about how I can get sex, and I often leave a business card with a tip if the waitress at a restaurant is cute. I also

Over the years, I have had sex with hundreds of different girls from all walks of life. I had sex with a the girlfriend of an acquaintance after she turned up at my door drunk after they had an argument. I had a female lodger staying with me and when she couldn't pay her rent, we came to an agreement where she paid less rent in return for sex. I have even (I'm not proud of this one) had sex with a homeless woman who was hanging around outside my apartment one evening after she followed me upstairs.

Despite all this, I have a good job. I'm not a heavy drinker and I don't do any drugs, so I see this as my only vice, and I enjoy it.

What do you think fellow expats? Do I have a serious disorder that I should seek help for, or am I just a regular expat in Phnom Penh.
Are you a school principal named Mark?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:07 pm The human animal is built to fuck and fight.
We think we are so clever that we can populate Mars. We Google shit. We is the advanced species...
Fuck off.
We is as instinctive as ever, just look at the pub on Friday night.
We are at war with our very nature, imo.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
so poetic <3 so true :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 am So what about the dopamine rushes in the couples who’ve been married 50-70 years? Aka, married their childhood sweethearts and stayed married until the day they died?

Just stirring the pot ...

There are good addictions and bad addictions.
different strokes for different folks
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

sklmeera wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm ....
Bad sex and masturbation shows a deep lack of self respect .
The only way this statement is tolerable is as a joke.

sklmeera wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm Why do you think all these old guys are jumping out of skyscrapers in Pattaya for example ? Its not because they played too much golf .
Oh so it's because of bad sex and masturbation? Now we know.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Toxic Turtle
Expatriate
Venezuela

Post by Toxic Turtle »

How old are you?

Whether or not sex addiction is a thing is something you can research online as you already have numerous other things, in particular nymphomania, or maybe research hypomania, OCD, and bipolar disorder.

Just seek out and utilize scholarly resources or academic studies and citations.

Ultimately, it will likely come down to your age, personality, anxiety, stress, depression, and any other underlying mental illnesses - but we are not doctors and this is not a professional hospital, sorry.

I would encourage you to seek mental health treatment, or review at the least - at a trusted, reputable mental health facility. I wish you the best of luck! (And never feel ashamed or embarrassed for recognizing and seeking help for internal problems or health concerns and abnormalities)
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Toxic Turtle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:14 am How old are you?

Whether or not sex addiction is a thing is something you can research online as you already have numerous other things, in particular nymphomania, or maybe research hypomania, OCD, and bipolar disorder.

Just seek out and utilize scholarly resources or academic studies and citations.

Ultimately, it will likely come down to your age, personality, anxiety, stress, depression, and any other underlying mental illnesses - but we are not doctors and this is not a professional hospital, sorry.try to view the world in a less confrontational manner.

I would encourage you to seek mental health treatment, or review at the least - at a trusted, reputable mental health facility. I wish you the best of luck! (And never feel ashamed or embarrassed for recognizing and seeking help for internal problems or health concerns and abnormalities)
Thank you for your critique of my post, rarely do I get such scholarly reviews from a Joker. Your depth and breadth of mental health issues is without a doubt based on years of psychotherapy. I believe the original OP is a troll, what kind of individual would introduce himself to a forum on Cambodia by revealing his mental health issues. I believe most, even the truly disturbed would wait until say 30 or so posts to exhibit their true deficiencies as you have so masterfully have done.
I strongly urge you search the word sarcasm in your plethora of resources and try to view the world in a less confrontational manner. If that does not help you, there are a number of other avenues you could explore including mind altering drugs or the abstiance of them and I would encourage you to try removing your head from your anus as a first step on the road to a more sane and productive existance. In closing Toxic Turtle ( moniker obviously based on personality and mental abilities, very clever considering the source) , I am 60 years old. Best wishes and don't give up hope, there is always electrotherapy if psycotherapy is ineffective.
Toxic Turtle
Expatriate
Venezuela

Post by Toxic Turtle »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:23 pm
Toxic Turtle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:14 am How old are you?

Ultimately, it will likely come down to your age, personality, anxiety, stress, depression, and any other underlying mental illnesses - but we are not doctors and this is not a professional hospital, sorry.try to view the world in a less confrontational manner.

Thank you for your critique of my post, rarely do I get such scholarly reviews from a Joker. Your depth and breadth of mental health issues is without a doubt based on years of psychotherapy. I believe the original OP is a troll, what kind of individual would introduce himself to a forum on Cambodia by revealing his mental health issues. I believe most, even the truly disturbed would wait until say 30 or so posts to exhibit their true deficiencies as you have so masterfully have done.
I strongly urge you search the word sarcasm in your plethora of resources and try to view the world in a less confrontational manner. If that does not help you, there are a number of other avenues you could explore including mind altering drugs or the abstiance of them and I would encourage you to try removing your head from your anus as a first step on the road to a more sane and productive existance. In closing Toxic Turtle ( moniker obviously based on personality and mental abilities, very clever considering the source) , I am 60 years old. Best wishes and don't give up hope, there is always electrotherapy if psycotherapy is ineffective.
Hi, sorry, I'm not sure I completely understand. My post was to the OP. Is this an alt-account?

It does not surprise me that an internet user would doubt the validity, genuine intent, or attempts to seek out emotional support or guidance online, even in an introductory phase. This is a major problem that is not too far off from cyber-bullying and just overall neglectful or abusive behavior and treatment of other people online - often leading to suicide or worsening symptoms and conditions.

You say scholarly reviews, but again I wasn't replying to you and have no idea who you are.

You are mostly babbling, but I will say it is enlightening and pretty cool to see a local ex-politician with his own troubled sexual past posting on our forums and participating in the community - very humble if I say so myself.

Both of the forms of therapy you haplessly throw around are very outdated or archaic. It sounds like you should return home, and that it's been a while since you've been in a modern society or mental health system.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

"You say scholarly reviews, but again I wasn't replying to you and have no idea who you are. "

I am not replying to you either and I also have no idea who you are, what a strange and convoluted world we live in. Debating with people we don't know about not debating with them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic