Is sex addiction a thing?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sc63w
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Is sex addiction a thing?

Post by sc63w »

It is when I'm your partner ;0)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Generally in the past if I've thought I've had a problem with something, I usually have.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Or it could be that society's conditioning is causing OP to slut shame himself for no good reason at all.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Nah, the op isn't slut shaming himself because he's a troll. But if he weren't, he'd be the first male I've ever heard of who was struggling with the label.
PhnomPenhPat
Tourist
United States of America

Post by PhnomPenhPat »

This whole idea thing about sex addiction was simply due to comments my co workers made.I work in the hospitality industry, and some co workers both local and non local started jokingly saying why I Wasn't married at my age, or some would say,has many " long hair dictionaries" referencing local ladies. This got me thinking,looking at my social life, I am different to my friends,some single,some in relationships and some single..I do seem to have a lot more than normal. I did research, and hence led me to the original post of the you tube video on hyper sexualization, a term I'd never heard of.
I didn't realize it could be an addiction, or if I had a problem as I've never heard people talk about it as they do other addictions.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i didnt really want to get into it too much but i see a lot of posters not really understanding,
the trouble with sex addiction is the obsession, the mental addiction, its not just the need/love for sex, the sex is often not the fix at all, and you are often left underwhelmed, guilty and ashamed afterwards,
which leads you on to searching for that next fix, its a mental condition, people who suffer from it often suffer from other things like depression/bi-polar and its their "feel good" fix,

whether its thinking about sex, thinking about going out and finding the next sexual partner, to that first moment you are in bed together etc etc... its not the sex thats addictive, its the release of dopamine that is addictive, the feel good endorphins that get released, thats the fix, and its an obsession that takes over a lot of your mental thought,

for-filling these sexual needs for a fix can result in you taking greater sexual risks than a "normal" person, and like other addictions it usually starts off small but becomes more and more extreme in order to get the same fix as before, that is when it becomes a problem and a risk to yourself and your health

for people that dont really understand is understandable, sex is something everyone does and is a natural thing, unlike gambling or substance addiction,

added note... about Dopamine... "Dopamine plays a major role in the motivational component of reward-motivated behavior. The anticipation of most types of rewards increases the level of dopamine in the brain", "Inside the brain, dopamine plays important roles in executive functions, motor control, motivation, arousal, reinforcement, and reward, as well as lower-level functions including lactation, sexual gratification" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

as i said in my post its not the sex thats addictive, its the anticipation of getting that sexual fix and the reward of getting that fix thats addictive, whether it be through sex, or in the OPs case often just masturbation,

suffered with this since a kid, having a girlfriend is something i want of coarse, i want a wife and kids, but after ive been with someone more than a few times, that Dopamine fix is just not the same and i have no desire for that person anymore (sexually), my last "serious" gf was nearly 6 years ago, and that only lasted 2 months, the one before that was 4 years before that and only lasted 2 months also,
sometimes my dopamine levels can get so high it almost puts me in a trance like state,

Sex addiction isnt about having a high sex drive, its something that can seriously effect your mental thought and life

i hope this post helps people understand a bit better

to the OP, if you want a serious chat, come meet me for a beer
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Inzman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Inzman »

Don’t let them get you down! Enjoy
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm i didnt really want to get into it too much but i see a lot of posters not really understanding,
the trouble with sex addiction is the obsession, the mental addiction, its not just the need/love for sex, the sex is often not the fix at all, and you are often left underwhelmed, guilty and ashamed afterwards,

Not really. Let's not appoint ourselves representatives of neo-Victorian repression which unfortunately has come back to us on steroids in the last 30 years.

Whether we locate the issue in the mind or the body, each person has the right to satisfy his urges to the max.

That person, not anyone else, must discover if chasing the desire is truly satisfying or not, and whether it interferes with other goals or not.

The only problem is the exterior social environmnent, ie, pejorative comments from people around him who know nothing and have their own delusions controlling them.

Every person is working his own angle, so we should never take another person's word about our own conduct.

If work or social life conflict with one's desire, the trick is to find a job and then friends who are in sync with your proclivities.

As Leary said, "Enjoy your own delusions."
The OP does not need anyone to drag him back into self-doubt and living half a life.
Last edited by Multipox on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Multipox wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm i didnt really want to get into it too much but i see a lot of posters not really understanding,

Not really. You are just trying to resuscitate Victorian repression which unfortunately has come back to us on steroids in the last 30 years.

Whether we locate the issue in the mind or the body, each person has the right to satisfy his urges to the max.

That person, not anyone else, must discover if chasing the desire is truly satisfying or not, and whether it interferes with other goals or not.

The only problem is the exterior social environmnent, ie, pejorative comments from people around him who know nothing and have their own delusions controlling them.

Every person is working his own angle, so we should never take another person's word about our own conduct.

If work or social life conflict with one's desire, the trick is to find a job and then friends who are in sync with your proclivities.

As Leary said, "Enjoy your own delusions."
The OP does not need anyone to drag him back into self-doubt and living half a life.
Exactly!
If people disagree with my lifestyle, they aren’t my people.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Multipox wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm to the OP, if you want a serious chat, come meet me for a beer
you obviously dont know me very well... :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic