Funeral cost

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Funeral cost

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: A friend died last week and family ,Embassy refuse to pay for the Cremation .How much is the cheapest price for disposing of the body.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Funeral cost

Post by Captain Bonez »

11 month old information

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer2: now I know why you throw the body in the river,fuck the American Embassy.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PIEMAN wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:39 am :stir: A friend died last week and family ,Embassy refuse to pay for the Cremation .How much is the cheapest price for disposing of the body.

Again brother, try contacting the Veterans Administration. https://www.va.gov/landing2_contact.htm

Especially if he is indeed a 20 year retired veteran. Here is a section on Burial Benefits. https://www.cem.va.gov/burial_benefits/

Not sure about repatriation of the body but it might be worth contacting them about that.

Jeez sounds like PIEMAN goes above and beyond for his mates. I hope I'm a mate of PIEMAN's when I'm on my death-bed.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

PIEMAN wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:39 am :stir: A friend died last week and family ,Embassy refuse to pay for the Cremation .How much is the cheapest price for disposing of the body.
Used to be $20-$30 for the basic cremation at the wat, disregarding cost for a ceremony etc.

Here's an earlier post of mine:
Kuroneko wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 am
Barang_doa_slae wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm While 1270$ might seem over valued, I have assisted and organized many deceased cremations and the 30$ quoted is BS. In my experience it costs from 100+ to plenty thousands of $.
Its not BS at all. I am talking here of the basic act of cremation. When you are poor, you take the body to the Wat yourself and pay between $20-$30 for wood and the cremation. Afterwards you pick through the ashes and collect the remains, and put them in a jar and take them home. Of course in addition you would also pay for monks and possibly food for guests depending on what you could afford, and where you sit in the community.In these circumstances the community usually assists.

The example I quoted where I spent $500, the whole process was reasonably elaborate and the body was transported in a coffin on a suitably attired truck. There were monks hired the previous day for chanting. There was also food and drinks for guests after the cremation. However the money payed to the guys chopping the wood and burning the body was still around $30. PR's quote of under $100 for wood and Monks is my experience also. The extra expense comes from the cost of hiring monks and catering for guests, not in the cremation itself.
post202101.html?hilit=funeral%20cost#p202101
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Kuroneko's post is quite accurate, in any case it falls in line with local costs in our village.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Ive had to do a few.
The cheapest was $35....no fancy stuff no ceramony, no papers... Just a bbq
Its this place.....

Dropped Pin
No. 290, វិថី ចំការដូង (217), Phnom Penh 12401
https://goo.gl/maps/i2Evvk1iZFS2

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

I thought paying 200 bucks to the hospital was a bit OTT but now the body has been in the morgue for 7 days its money money money,we told the embassy we ain,t got the cash to bury him and low and behold the body ends up at a funeral home,surely a veteran off 20 plus yrs deserves better.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Pieman,

Part if the issue with the embassy is that they may be communicating or attempting to communicate with the next of kin.

What they should be doing is:

1. Locate and inform next of kin.
2. Assist family in making arrangement with local authorities for preparation and disposition of the remains. This assistance is informational and does not include any financial assistance.
3. Prepare a Consular Report of the Death of an American Citizen once the local death certificate is issued (this is a legal document that his estate can use back in the states).
4. Take possession of all personal effects. Communicate with the next of kin in regards to disposition of such items.

Thats it. The State Deparment is explicit that they do not pay for the return of remains of deceased Americans overseas, nor do they pay for funeral costs, etc.

So I would assume that the embassy actually has a list of possible venues for cremation with prices, it may be they choose to only release the information to the next of kin.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir:got the quote from the funeral home $720 looks like i might be on overstay this year :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic