Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What's your point? Want me to dig up bicycle accidents in the news? I've witnessed more than one. Or are you implying that there are more accidents involving motorcyclists and car drivers? Considering 95-98% of daily commuting in Phnom Penh ISN'T done on a bicycle, I think it’s fairly obvious that those would account for a comparable percentage of accidents, but in no way does it mean bicycles are inherently safer. Notice I didn't say motorcycle riding IS safer, I simply stated that saying a bicycle is safer in Phnom Penh is ridiculous, given that you're at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to weight and right of way (even moreso if you're one of those idiots who doesn't have lights at night). Physics don’t care whether you were going slow if the motorcycle that slams into you was going 60kmh.

For the record, I've been riding various types of motorcycles here for a decade and have clocked well over 100 000 km both in PP and the countryside (just did 170km yesterday) and still haven't had an accident involving someone else (knock on wood). Defensive driving in your best friend, as is knowing the local rules, but there are no guarantees. That’s why if someone doesn’t feel comfortable, they really shouldn’t be driving here. They’re a danger to themselves and others.

As mentioned: no form of transportation here is perfectly safe. The safest would obviously be a large car (or cement truck!), but that’s not exactly practical for the city as it would quadruple your time running errands. Both bicycles and motorbikes offer great flexibility, though motorbikes are better in terms of speed, distance covered and not being all sweaty once you reach your destination. Riding either, you need to be "on" at all times and have your wits about you, that's why for many riding a tuktuk is a much safer and easier alternative. Although even those aren’t perfectly safe. Choose your poison and all...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:24 am I rode a moto for nearly ten years in Phnom Penh, all over Cambodia and in the Mekong Delta. Never even had a close call and drove drunk every night. Defensive driving is required of course just as in a car.
But a 50cc scooter is madness, no power to get out of dangerous situations.
The "power" argument is spurious as 90%+ of the accidents have no forewarning and the 'average' rider has no advanced skills to utilise power anyway - bit like the bullshit "loud bikes save lives" myth
mike75
Tourist

Post by mike75 »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am Been riding various vehicles in Phnom Penh for over 20 years including motos. 5 years ago I moved over to Chroy Changvar and bought a new Yamaha Jupiter
Interesting, I thought Yamaha pulled out of Cambodia years ago. No?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

mike75 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am Been riding various vehicles in Phnom Penh for over 20 years including motos. 5 years ago I moved over to Chroy Changvar and bought a new Yamaha Jupiter
Interesting, I thought Yamaha pulled out of Cambodia years ago. No?
No ---- here's the main dealers: http://yamaha-motor.com.kh/en/destribut ... ?menu1=654
FB Page https://web.facebook.com/pg/YamahaKongNuonGroup/about/

Kong Nuon Group Co.,Ltd (Head Office) Baktok, # 35 DEF, Street Tchecoslovaquie(169) Sangkat Veal Vong, Khan Makara, Phnom Penh. Tel: 023 88 55 15-16

General Information
Assembling, manufacturing, marketing, distributing, selling and/or servicing Yamaha brand motorcycles and their parts and accessories in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

Note Yamaha Town Bak Tuk is closed for renovation/upgrade reopens in March ( I think)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

beaker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

How much for one of those? Can you remove the battery to charge it?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm
beaker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

How much for one of those? Can you remove the battery to charge it?
I built it myself $300 for the bike $300 for the 48v 1000w motor kit with brake levers that have motor cutoff switches, motor mounted on the wheel, display unit, motor controller, throttle and wiring. The 48v 11Ah battery has a key lock and is easily removed but it can be charged without removal its cost was $400.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anyone thinking of setting up an electric bicycle, this is a good combination.

If you go for a low power motor, it may be slow and gutless. If you go for higher power than this, you go up a lot in dollars.

The motor in the back wheel is good.

The kit is good, as if any part breaks, you can replace that part.

You can choose your preferred brand of bicycle to install it on.

I have not met beaker, and not seen this bicycle. I am sure he can provide any information for anyone wanting to set up their own.

Some time in the future, I may set up something similar. At the present time, I am fat challenged, and peddling is beneficial. I have also been riding through mud and water, which may destroy an electric bike.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Anyone thinking of setting up an electric bicycle, this is a good combination.

If you go for a low power motor, it may be slow and gutless. If you go for higher power than this, you go up a lot in dollars.

The motor in the back wheel is good.

The kit is good, as if any part breaks, you can replace that part.

You can choose your preferred brand of bicycle to install it on.

I have not met beaker, and not seen this bicycle. I am sure he can provide any information for anyone wanting to set up their own.

Some time in the future, I may set up something similar. At the present time, I am fat challenged, and peddling is beneficial. I have also been riding through mud and water, which may destroy an electric bike.
The bike has 5 levels of pedal assist if you want to pedal (increases range) as well as a throttle if you don't (does 50km/h throttle only) or you can use a combination of the 2 (which is handy take off from light faster than the dream machines)
As for battery, generally speaking, higher voltage gives more speed higher amperage give more range but they are the most expensive part.
Thailand has some great ebikes being made as well as kits and the prices are very competitive and could save on shipping by traveling by bus with your bike. They are on facebook search ebikes thailand. I like their fat bike it is 2 wheel drive here's a pic
jimi hendrix
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 am
explorer wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:17 am
Kinetic wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 am It s curious. In my mind bicycle is more dangerous because of the difference of the speed and more vulnerable.
The safest thing is not to come to Cambodia at all.
This. If you worry too much about things, you'll never do anything. Stay at home lock the door and never go out.
Statistically, more people die at home than in Cambodia! Fact.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic