Sinead O'Connor Converts to Islam

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sinead O'Connor Converts to Islam

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Define: what's the role of women? You made reference, but didn't quite articulate it. I'm not angry. I'm listening.

I'm fine with getting "jip" ! Not too many women in this forum. As long as I can express "my" opinion as well as others can express theirs--which I'm fine with arguing against, I'm fine.

You're okay with that, I'm guessing? You said we're both "wrong." How are we wrong? Articulate it. Say it.

I'll watch the video.

edited to add: that site is fine, but I think that expressing your opinion--whatever it is--openly and with your name attached shows a bit of courage, just a bit. In this day and age, I try to be civil and apologize if I've offended anyone with my opinion.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

To each his/her own. Change is a personal choice and is to be applauded if it is through much thought and comparison but if you choose to push your new choices on to others to change with you just because you did is not right.

No she has not done that . My statement is just my opinion. =@
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I can't imagine why anyone would give a shit what she does.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:27 pm
It's usually going to be some poor girl who's jumped from the ninth floor, or someone in not much clothing. Again, just an observation.

I think that foreign males, barang or Chinese or whatever, get just as many comments for their choice of clothing or lack thereof. In fact, entire threads get dedicated to shirtless male barangs.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 am
It's usually going to be some poor girl who's jumped from the ninth floor, or someone in not much clothing. Again, just an observation.

I think that foreign males, barang or Chinese or whatever, get just as many comments for their choice of clothing or lack thereof. In fact, entire threads get dedicated to shirtless male barangs.
Then there is the. case of the poor bisexual women who are offended that their pickups expect to be paid and refuse to hand out freebies.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:43 pm
Cinnamoncat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:19 am What's with all the hatred? Who cares what she does with her spiritual life? As in, so what?
Well, she chose to tweet aka advertise the fact that she has converted knowing full well that in doing so she is making a statement to the world.

I think most ppl couldn't give a sh*t but she chose to make a statement publicly rather than keep it to herself. Why is that do you think?

If you wanna go public about it as a celebrity then you have to face the consequences.. her choice..
It's just rather interesting (amusing? funny? predictable?) that the men of CEO are choosing to string her up. Just saying. I'd like to see if there's a woman out there with brains and autonomy that speaks to any of you. I did notice that a young Khmer woman who is speaking out about issues common to women of Cambodia got a minor round of applause, but mostly not.

Keep on doing what you like to do.
Not sure why you quoted me coz what you say here doesn't really relate to what I said. But that's fine.

I might add that if twitter had been around when Cat Stevens converted and had he tweeted similarly, I would have posted the exact same.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Happy to hear her voice

Post by britscienceteacher »

Arget wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 am To each his/her own. Change is a personal choice and is to be applauded if it is through much thought and comparison but if you choose to push your new choices on to others to change with you just because you did is not right.

No she has not done that . My statement is just my opinion.
The media does push choices onto people, adults and children. It influences people subconsciously (without their knowledge or conscious choice). That's why the advertising industry is so profitable and why it spread to political campaigns several decades ago. The message sent across by the music industry to our children is not one that many people would consciously agree with. It is pushed on us and our children.

In answer to Cinnamoncat's request for a definition I don't want to reinvent the wheel, Anonymous do a pretty good job already:

I understand that she is rebelling again harsh, heavy-handed management of her person (by reading what she wrote in the background). This is the same thing Prince did when he wrote 'slave' on his head (before he perished), the same thing that Bob Dylan refers to (in his book) when he says he was glad that he broke his leg to get out of a contract, Tom Petty railed against this in the lyrics of many of his songs, and it explains many of the bizzare and sudden endings of many celebrities.

I've never read the Quran, but parts of the Bible illuminate the world for me, and shine truth on many matters. If she finds that in the Quran then good for her. Many famous people find life torturous and feel trapped, and abused (read about Marilyn Monroe). If the 'Call to Prayer' is a symbol of hope and freedom for her I'm glad she's found it, and that she can share it with us. I'm happy that she still has a voice.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Right and wrong - the facts

Post by britscienceteacher »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 am You're okay with that, I'm guessing? You said we're both "wrong." How are we wrong? Articulate it. Say it.

In this day and age, I try to be civil and apologize if I've offended anyone with my opinion.
I don't recall who said it exactly, but to paraphrase it went something like this:
"If you want to make everybody happy, then don't do anything and don't say anything."

This is why we are wrong:

Facts are commonly believed.
Many facts are not true.
It's commonly believed that facts are right and that people who disagree with them are wrong.
That's a fact.
Therefore if you are not in the majority, in the opinions that you express then you are wrong.
So we were both wrong.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Now she doesn't want to associate with 'disgusting' white people.. :evil: :angry:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/201 ... 912720002/
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:23 pm Now she doesn't want to associate with 'disgusting' white people.. :evil: :angry:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/201 ... 912720002/
Who is she going to assoicate with?

Scary black ones?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic