my mother sold me

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

my mother sold me

Post by phuketrichard »

sad that this goes on and on in Cambodia,
sad that a childs youth is sold to support her family
sad that society seems to feel this is acceptable

https://rtd.rt.com/films/my-mother-sold-me/
just plain sad
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: my mother sold me

Post by Sidewalker »

This video is already posted on October 15.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 pm
sad that society seems to feel this is acceptable
Sad that you actually believe that.
If you watch the documentary you can seen that the people involved were ostracized
by the local community who obviously didn't think it was in any way acceptable.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The mother and daughter who featured in the Russian documentary now say they were paid to act their parts in the film.

Family questioned over sex doc
November 1, 2018
Phnom Penh Anti-Trafficking Police yesterday questioned a mother and her daughter who appeared in a documentary titled ‘My mother sold me’ after the news video went viral, causing an uproar.

The video, produced by Russia Today Documentary, detailed how young Cambodian girls were sold for sex to feed their impoverished families. It has gone viral since October 22 and caused heated debate among social media users.

Colonel Keo Thea, chief of the Phnom Penh anti-trafficking police, said that during the questioning, Kav Malay and her daughter Kheing Sreymich confessed they were paid to act in the film.
“Both the mother and her daughter confessed they received $200 for acting in the film. It’s not what happened to them in their real life,” Col Thea said. “We are still questioning them. So I cannot give you further information because we need to find out who was involved in this case.”

Chou Bun Eng, chairwoman of the National Authority for Anti-Human Trafficking, said the film ruined the Kingdom’s reputation.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50546093/f ... r-sex-doc/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Quote: Chou Bun Eng, chairwoman of the National Authority for Anti-Human Trafficking, said the film ruined the Kingdom’s reputation.
Did she read this?
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... an-virgins
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

FAKE news! Looks like Russia not only tries to interfere in a country's elections but a country's image as well! :plus1:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

This does go on.

Just because they used actors, doesnt change the facts.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian critic held in Thailand over sex-trafficking film - wife
07 Dec 2018 06:10PM
PHNOM PENH: A Cambodian labour activist faces deportation from Thailand back to Cambodia over his role in making a documentary about sex trafficking that angered the Cambodian government, which dismissed it as fake, his wife said on Friday.

The ruling party of Cambodia's prime minister, HE, has waged a crackdown against what it says are critics of the government, including human rights advocates and opposition politicians.

Rath Rott Mony, 47, a prominent government critic, was arrested in Bangkok on Friday as he attempted to travel to the Netherlands with his family after helping produce the documentary for the Russia Today channel in October.

His wife, Long Kimheang, told Reuters from Bangkok she was afraid Thai police would send him back to Cambodia.

"Police arrested my husband and they told me that Cambodian police had sent them a document, saying he produced a false story," Long Kimheang said.

"I am worried when they deport my husband, he will be put in prison."

Thai immigration police officials were not immediately available for comment.

The documentary, titled "My Mother Sold Me", included an account of a poor Cambodian girl who was sold into sex work, prompting authorities to question those involved in making the report.

Authorities later said the mother and daughter were paid to lie in the documentary, according to Cambodian police.

Cambodian police spokesman Lieutenant General Chhay Kim Khoeun confirmed they had asked that Rath Rott Mony, president of the Cambodian Construction Workers Trade Union Federation (CCTUF), be deported if found in Thailand.

"The documentary is a made-up story that destroys Cambodia's culture and reputation," he said.

Russia Today did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... e-11010972
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you speak Khmer, and go out and meet a lot of Cambodian people, particularly the very poor people, you will meet girls who have been sold.

This does go on.

It is sad they dont put their effort into stopping crime, instead of trying to silence those who tell the truth.

Two of the saddest things which go on in Cambodia are, mothers selling their daughters, and unmarried mothers abandoning newborn babies.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

I'm guessing they probably were paid to appear, but telling their true story.
But were told by trafficking police, to say they were paid to lie, or face a trafficking prosecution.
Thus saving face for Cambodia, while incriminating a government critic. Neat.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic