my mother sold me

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: my mother sold me

Post by finbar »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 pm
finbar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm I'm guessing they probably were paid to appear, but telling their true story.
But were told by trafficking police, to say they were paid to lie, or face a trafficking prosecution.
Thus saving face for Cambodia, while incriminating a government critic. Neat.
They were paid actors. It did not happen to them.

It does happen to other people.
Did you hire them?
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

He wanted to expose Cambodia’s virginity trade. Now, he’s in prison
By: Matt Surrusco - Posted on: December 15, 2018 | Cambodia
A Cambodian translator helped foreign journalists film a documentary about alleged sex trafficking in the Kingdom. Authorities now claim the film’s subjects said they were paid to be in the film. The translator’s wife, who visited him in prison, tells Southeast Asia Globe that her husband is afraid, sick and innocent.

A Cambodian woman says she sold her daughter’s virginity for $1,000 because they needed the money. Dressed in a school uniform with a backpack on her shoulders, the girl confirms her mother’s account. Both of their faces are shown and names revealed.

At one point in the film, a man off camera is heard asking the girl in Khmer, “Is it true? She really sold you?”
“Yes, it’s true,” the girl replies. “She made me do that.”

Then, in mid-October, the documentary film produced by Russian news outlet RT about child sex trafficking in Cambodia was published online and widely shared, garnering the attention of authorities. Later that month, the mother and daughter featured in the film were called in for questioning.

They told police they had lied on camera and were paid for their interviews, according to local media reports.

Now, the film’s Cambodian news fixer is being detained in a Phnom Penh prison on charges of “incitement to discriminate,” his wife and a court spokesman said on Friday. He faces up to three years in prison if convicted.

Since it spread across Facebook, government officials have called the 27-minute film “fake” news and a “fabrication” that damaged Cambodia’s reputation.

The film, titled “My Mother Sold Me: Cambodia, Where Virginity Is a Commodity,” tells the stories of four Cambodian girls who were trafficked or paid for sex at the behest of poor relatives or partners.

The jailed fixer and translator, Rath Rott Mony, who helped RT interview the Cambodian women and girls in the film, was transferred to Cambodian police custody on Wednesday night by Thai authorities, his wife, Long Kimheang, told the Southeast Asia Globe on Friday.

Mony, 47, who is listed as one of three producers in the film’s credits, was attempting to secure asylum in the Netherlands for himself, his wife and their one-year-old son when he was arrested by Thai police in Bangkok last week, Kimheang said.

“He does his job, and he wants the government to solve the problem that is revealed in the film,” Kimheang, 33, said Friday after visiting her husband at Phnom Penh’s Prey Sar prison.

Mony, who is president of the Cambodian Construction Workers Trade Union Federation, told his wife that the film was true and he didn’t pay the mother, Kav Malay, or her daughter, a high school student, for the interviews, Kimheang said, adding that her husband had just wanted to make a film that would help the girl and others like her in Cambodia.

In late October, Mony got word from a source, whom he asked his wife not to name, that Malay would be arrested because she admitted to a crime on film, Kimheang said.

Later that day, Mony fled Cambodia for Thailand, fearing he would be arrested as well. A few days later, Malay and her daughter’s story changed.

Under questioning by anti-trafficking police, the pair allegedly said they were paid $200 to act in the film, the Khmer Times reported.

“If she dared to say the truth that she told in the [RT] story… then the mother would be arrested and charged,” said Kimheang.
http://sea-globe.com/cambodian-translat ... ny-jailed/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
generalanesthetic
Tourist
Sweden

Post by generalanesthetic »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 pm
finbar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm I'm guessing they probably were paid to appear, but telling their true story.
But were told by trafficking police, to say they were paid to lie, or face a trafficking prosecution.
Thus saving face for Cambodia, while incriminating a government critic. Neat.
They were paid actors. It did not happen to them.

It does happen to other people.
Yeah it really does..

I think that the majority of viewers believe this was 100% real and not actors or am I wrong? ^_^
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Here is another one.

topic25316.html
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:
explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 am There is a western man with a young daughter, who has been stopped by do-gooders and asked what he is doing with a young girl. It is sad that people assume the worst when they dont know somebody.
Speaking from experience and as this happened to me and others here
it has ONLY happened in Cambodia, NEVER in thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Europe or the states.
APLE doesn’t operate in those places. Only in Cambodia.

Thank god for the white man savior complex at work.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its the fucking NGO's that deal with trafficking and trying to raise $$

yea it happens, but it also happens in Sri Lanka, India, Philippines and many eastern European countries, BUT the NGO's are not as prevalent there.

"if you build it, (sell it) they will come"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh: On the afternoon of 21 December, 2018, the Phnom Penh Court of First Instance ordered that the Cambodian translator, Rath Rott Mony, be maintained in custody at Prey Sar prison, Phnom Penh, for his role in assisting Russian filmmakers in the making of the video entitled My Mother Sold Me.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I think it is sad they are going after the translator.

They should be going after criminals.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
Cambodian documentary fixer finds asylum in the U.S.
30 March 2022 3:53 PM
Khuon Narim
A Cambodian fixer for a foreign media team has won political asylum in the U.S. after being imprisoned in 2018 for his work on a documentary about alleged sexual trafficking of underage girls in the kingdom.

Rath Rott Mony had worked with a team from the Russian state media outlet RT, for which he sourced interviews with mothers who told reporters they had sold their daughters’ virginity. Police later questioned those mothers, who denied their on-camera testimony and claimed Rott Mony had paid them for their comments.

After that investigation, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court convicted Rott Mony of incitement to discriminate. He was released from prison in December 2020, and about a year later in February 2021 joined his family living as refugees in Thailand.

This February, the family relocated to the U.S. state of New Mexico. Though Rott Mony declined comment to CamboJA, his wife, Long Kimheang, spoke to reporters last week via social media. Though she said her husband is trying to maintain a low profile for now, Kimheang has been vocal about the family’s challenges since Rott Mony’s arrest. Now, she’s optimistic about their future.
https://cambojanews.com/cambodian-docum ... n-the-u-s/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Before we got involved, my ex girlfriend was sold to a Chinese guy.
They didn't call it selling but money certainly changed hands, and it didn't go to the bride.

It lasted a few years and then went downhill.
She ended up leaving her baby in China with her abusive ex and his abusive mother because that was the only way she could get away.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic