my mother sold me

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: my mother sold me

Post by xandreu »

The sad truth is that wherever there's poverty, there will always be people willing to exploit it for their own ends. Whether people are looking for casual sex with children or to buy actual human beings as if they were items on a shop shelf. This has always and will always be the case. Catching the imprisoning the people who do this sort of thing doesn't really solve the problem in the long term. Tens of thousands have been caught and imprisoned but it's still as big an issue as it ever was. There are still areas of the world where this type of thing still goes on. And it's almost always in the same places you find poverty.

It's easy to judge and condemn someone for selling their child, but until you've had to live on a dollar a day, spending all night walking the streets looking through other people's rubbish for something that you might be able to sell for 100 riel, I think it's too easy to just shake your head and tut at the people who sell their offspring. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking than deciding to sell your own child, and I don't for a minute believe that these people make a decision like this lightly.

In short, this problem will never be solved while people are still living in abject poverty. Wherever in the world that may be.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
gogolo12
Tourist
India

Post by gogolo12 »

Nah. i dont believe it. Its a lie. Russian lie.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 am You need to be a Lert.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lert

(n) A small furry woodland creature that senses are always very intensely attuned to its surroundings
gogolo12
Tourist
India

Post by gogolo12 »

You blocked my reply
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

No one blocked your reply. New posters are on preview and it takes time for us to get to it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 am The sad truth is that wherever there's poverty, there will always be people willing to exploit it for their own ends. Whether people are looking for casual sex with children or to buy actual human beings as if they were items on a shop shelf. This has always and will always be the case. Catching the imprisoning the people who do this sort of thing doesn't really solve the problem in the long term. Tens of thousands have been caught and imprisoned but it's still as big an issue as it ever was. There are still areas of the world where this type of thing still goes on. And it's almost always in the same places you find poverty.

It's easy to judge and condemn someone for selling their child, but until you've had to live on a dollar a day, spending all night walking the streets looking through other people's rubbish for something that you might be able to sell for 100 riel, I think it's too easy to just shake your head and tut at the people who sell their offspring. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking than deciding to sell your own child, and I don't for a minute believe that these people make a decision like this lightly.

In short, this problem will never be solved while people are still living in abject poverty. Wherever in the world that may be.
Sure, but the same things happen in developed countries. Such practices are far less prevalent here now than some like to make out, especially the western press who like to deflect attention from the thousands of trafficked prostitutes and other exploited people working in their own countries.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Young westerners still believe (in 2018) that sexpats pick up children at that now shut riverside area in PP (forgot the name. Viet kids I think) or down the beach at SIhanoukville and any old westerner with kids is obviously a pedophile.

Why? Because they get feeded it by charities and media with agendas.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

davegorman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 pm Young westerners still believe (in 2018) that sexpats pick up children at that now shut riverside area in PP (forgot the name. Viet kids I think) or down the beach at SIhanoukville and any old westerner with kids is obviously a pedophile.

Why? Because they get feeded it by charities and media with agendas.
u referring to k11
shut long ago
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

davegorman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 pm westerners still believe ... any old westerner with kids is obviously a pedophile.
There is a western man with a young daughter, who has been stopped by do-gooders and asked what he is doing with a young girl. It is sad that people assume the worst when they dont know somebody.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 am
davegorman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 pm westerners still believe ... any old westerner with kids is obviously a pedophile.
There is a western man with a young daughter, who has been stopped by do-gooders and asked what he is doing with a young girl. It is sad that people assume the worst when they dont know somebody.
Speaking from experience and as this happened to me and others here
it has ONLY happened in Cambodia, NEVER in thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Europe or the states.

Its quite obvious to those living in SE asia, if its their kid or a take home.
PLUS asian girls many times look younger than they actually are
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic