Part-time teaching work around Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bornestellar
Tourist
United States of America

Part-time teaching work around Phnom Penh?

Post by bornestellar »

Greetings, gents! I'm making my way over to PP from the good ole' USA in 4 1/2 months. I'm TEFL certified and I'm looking to get 15-20 hours of teaching in per week. I'm aware that a lot of ESL teachers have their actual classroom hours split up over the course of an 8-9 hour day(with a couple of hours for lunch and prep-work). What is the availability of teaching positions where you get 1-2 classes of teaching in that isn't split up? Something like an 8-1 schedule(an hour for lunch/prep work).

I might just end up going the full-time route but if what I'm seeking is available, I'll go that route.

Would anyone have a rough estimate in regards to income? I'm aware that schools over there usually pay $10-$12/hr, but I'm not sure if that would change if I was working "part-time" vs "full-time". I'm also aware that a lot of schools pay salaries vs hourly.

Appreciate it, guys.