Accident in Phnom Penh... what happens then.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Accident in Phnom Penh... what happens then.

Post by fax »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:49 pm The best post I've ever read supporting NOT having insurance.
What? My annual insurance cost is lower than OP spent in the hospital. For a little more than $2000 (OP paid $1500 for 6 days) we have medevac for a family of 4 and I think $500,000 international coverage per person per year. (Through AG outside Himawari to save people from messaging to ask.)

If OPs injury was anything worse the cost would have blown up and evacuation is out of the question. Maybe you were joking but I don’t think getting hurt proves that you don’t need an insurance. For me it serves as a reminder of why I never miss those bill payments!
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

fax wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 am
General Mackevili wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:49 pm The best post I've ever read supporting NOT having insurance.
Maybe you were joking but I don’t think getting hurt proves that you don’t need an insurance.
All the OP's post proves is it's not worth insuring against a broken knee cap in Cambodia... if you're willing to seek treatment at a second rate hospital in Phnom Penh.
You could be next.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 am All the OP's post proves is it's not worth insuring against a broken knee cap in Cambodia... if you're willing to seek treatment at a second rate hospital in Phnom Penh.
A PP food maker had to get his leg re-broken after Shrek’s Irish girlfriend beat him up and they put him back together wrong in Calmette. Even a small injury can haunt you in Cambodia.

I’d rather be insured but if I’m out I’ll select the $1500 broken knee cap as that has been tested with such great success!!!
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

My late ex and I always had health insurance. In 1997, I had to have an emergency laparotomy. That's where they cut you ten centimeters lower abdomen and open you up.

At the time, I was hemorrhaging and could have died. After the surgery, I was in a small room with blood-splattered walls. Later, when they didn't give me more than aspirin I used that wall to hit with the palm of my hand repeatedly. At that time, they really didn't support opiates used for pain.

My ex and British doctor advocated for me, and the surgeon finally said, "Ok, go to the pharmacy and buy morphine. I'll allow it."

Our insurance reimbursed all costs, about 3K USD.

After a week, I was able to go home. Once there, I noticed the cut they'd made was crooked. After a period of six weeks, I developed adhesions (constant pain, as the cuts inside had adhered together) and I flew to BKK for a follow up surgery, with laser tools. There, I had a laparoscopy. Another 2K or so. Insurance covered all costs, but as with the first surgery, we had to pay the money up front.

I would not feel confident about surgery in KOW. If it's absolutely necessary, good luck. My surgeon was also the surgeon for the PM, so he was very good---but not everyone is going to be lucky enough to find a top drawer surgeon. I was, and for that I'm glad.

Insurance: YES.

Side note: at the time my ex died, he had been exploring life insurance policies. Sad he didn't get it before his death.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:00 am My late ex and I always had health insurance. In 1997, I had to have an emergency laparotomy. That's where they cut you ten centimeters lower abdomen and open you up.

At the time, I was hemorrhaging and could have died. After the surgery, I was in a small room with blood-splattered walls. Later, when they didn't give me more than aspirin I used that wall to hit with the palm of my hand repeatedly. At that time, they really didn't support opiates used for pain.

My ex and British doctor advocated for me, and the surgeon finally said, "Ok, go to the pharmacy and buy morphine. I'll allow it."

After a week, I was able to go home. Once there, I noticed the cut they'd made was crooked. After a period of six weeks, I developed adhesions (constant pain, as the cuts inside had adhered together) and I flew to BKK for a follow up surgery, with laser tools. There, I had a laparoscopy. Another 2K or so. Insurance covered all costs, but as with the first surgery, we had to pay the money up front.

I would not feel confident about surgery in KOW. If it's absolutely necessary, good luck. My surgeon was also the surgeon for the PM, so he was very good---but not everyone is going to be lucky enough to find a top drawer surgeon. I was, and for that I'm glad.

Side note: at the time my ex died, he had been exploring life insurance policies. Sad he didn't get it before his death.

Many insurance companies would still have accepted payment for his insurance even after he had died.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Cinnamoncat wrote:My late ex and I always had health insurance. In 1997, I had to have an emergency laparotomy. That's where they cut you ten centimeters lower abdomen and open you up.

Not a criticism but, why do you have to mention “your late ex” in every single post? It’s a little weird.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 am Not a criticism but, why do you have to mention “your late ex” in every single post? It’s a little weird.
Too soon? :hattip:

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

He-who-was-formerly- LTO (and my husband) and I lived together in Cambodia...the whole time I lived in Cambodia. It's just that my life there was with him. I hardly know how to refer to him. Sorry. I'll shut up now.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
JaceMon
Expatriate
Dominica

Post by JaceMon »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 am
Cinnamoncat wrote:My late ex and I always had health insurance. In 1997, I had to have an emergency laparotomy. That's where they cut you ten centimeters lower abdomen and open you up.

Not a criticism but, why do you have to mention “your late ex” in every single post? It’s a little weird.
She has been writing her memoirs. Things from the past are fresh in her mind. She reads things on a Cambodian forum she can relate to and has personal experience of - while in Cambodia with her husband at the time, who is now her ex.

Nothing creepy. No different to the many posts by Stroppy that mention his wife.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 pm He-who-was-formerly- LTO (and my husband) and I lived together in Cambodia...the whole time I lived in Cambodia. It's just that my life there was with him. I hardly know how to refer to him. Sorry. I'll shut up now.

No ,, dont shut up, you are entitled to post whatever you want. Dont let others on this forum put you off. Without your post and your views, whatever they are, this forum would be all one-sided.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic