License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sparkie69
Tourist
Malaysia

License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Post by Sparkie69 »

I would like to share my bit of experience in getting my drivers license replaced after I lost my wallet while riding the motorbike to the market.
The first thing you must do is to make a police report and you need to bring along your passport ( make copies as well 2 pieces of the front page and the visa ) if you are staying here in Sihanoukville you must also bring along proof of residency letter which you can get from your house owner.

Once this is done you may go to Aeon Mall 2 in Phnom Phen to get your license replaced but make sure you have these documents;

1. Passport with valid Visa make a photocopy of both
2. Photocopy of your drivers license from your country ( must be valid )
3. Medical report
4. If the address on the Cambodia license that you lost is not the same as the place you are staying then you need another letter to proof that the address in the license and the address you are currently staying is the same.
5. About 10 dollars covers all the other issues
6. You can get your license replaced on the same day if all the documents are in order.

I had a pleasant encounter with the officers at Aeon Mall 2 and all went smoothly now my next course of action is to get a motorcycle license I mean for higher cc motorbikes. I will post once I get it done.

Cheers guys and welcome to land of wonder.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Post by bangkokhooker »

Wouldn’t it have been simpler just to get a new first time licence?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just back from the moto license place on st 268 , showed them photo of my Cambodian Moto license and passport, told I need 5 passport photos, I explained it's a Cambodian license, oh and $90 , $20 of that is for them to do police report, I told them it's only $12 I think to go do test again they said they have to send everything along way that why costs alot.
Well I'll carry on without it for now
Driving there so many people pulling out of side streets not looking, while sitting at red light so many going through not stopping or looking, I'm slowly losing my love for this place , blatant ignorince driving and rip off the barangs
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

$90 for a $30 license.
ahhh it must be Cambodia...

Why is it in one of the worlds poorest countries they continually try to fuck ya over $$?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Cambodian mate of mine just had his lisense plates stolen
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

atst wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:44 am Just back from the moto license place on st 268 , showed them photo of my Cambodian Moto license and passport, told I need 5 passport photos, I explained it's a Cambodian license, oh and $90 , $20 of that is for them to do police report, I told them it's only $12 I think to go do test again they said they have to send everything along way that why costs alot.
Driving there so many people pulling out of side streets not looking, while sitting at red light so many going through not stopping or looking, I'm slowly losing my love for this place , blatant ignorince driving and rip off the barangs
So that’s an agent. What do you expect.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

whatwat wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:19 pm
atst wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:44 am Just back from the moto license place on st 268 , showed them photo of my Cambodian Moto license and passport, told I need 5 passport photos, I explained it's a Cambodian license, oh and $90 , $20 of that is for them to do police report, I told them it's only $12 I think to go do test again they said they have to send everything along way that why costs alot.
So that’s an agent. What do you expect.
They were pretty good couple years ago when I went for my license,they got computer to practice the test
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Well I should have known better , the missus talked me into going to the police station to get the report lost licence, three stations later find a guy that can do the report (I am on riverside) writes out the great report signed stamped and my thumb print ,I thought $5 would do it, it used to NO $20. He told us to go to Aeon 2 .
Set off around 9am stupid me thought here we go again Aeon 2 is a mall its just a shopping center I'll go the the licence testing station where I got my licence, the place is now a boray ,traffic department nearby dont do the licence dont know where, touk touk guys on crn said its 200m down the road but closed for two weeks, go looking for it find a motor car testing station and licence office, nobody there knows where to get a motor bike licence one help full lady sent us to the office we just came out off. Oh well this is fun lets go to Aeon 2, it doesn't open till 11am so we hang around catching covid. 11am comes we can go up to level 2 and find the moto place take a number and wait, 15-20 minutes later some of the staff turn up looking at thier phones about 20 people waiting, 12:15 my number comes up yahoo, show one guy my police report and the photo on my phone of my licence, he looks it up on computer hands the police report to girl next to him she say this report is phnom phenn , I live Prey Veng, yes so well you need to have prey ving on police report, but Im in PP when I lose licence , you need salkats letter from my home to say I live Prey Veng. What I need to go back home get signed paper, no you can do it in PP she said. I call the missus over Im getting pissed they need proof where I live I show them the APP on my phone for immigration with the same address as my licence. they dont want that.
Anyway all sorted with the missus just need to go PP salkats same as police station, get them to say I live Prey veng easy. Go see them No they wont do it , I say what if I get hotel I'm staying at to say Im living there will you do report I live PP? No
Conclution they want salkats from PP to say I live in Prey veng this wont happen. If a go back Prey Veng get letter of my address it wont be the same District as the police report catch22. Yes I can get Salkats and police to write sign and stamp bits of paper from my home(more tea money) and try do it all again but fuckit its only replacing a lost licence I haven't changed address. So much for trying to do the write thing in the KOW
I forgot to ask them how much it was, but the missus asked a Khmer guy getting his license replaced he told her $10, wonder if it's the same for me, I'll never know hahaha
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well easiest is
go back home, file a lost license at the police station there. yea, its fucked but.......and ya cant do it tomorrow but
than return to Aeon 2 and get a replacement license.

or drive without one
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 pm well easiest is
go back home, file a lost license at the police station there. yea, its fucked but.......and ya cant do it tomorrow but
than return to Aeon 2 and get a replacement license.

or drive without one
You could do that just now because they have relaxed the traffic laws temporary because of the covid19 problem. But if atst was pulled for no licence, and he needs one because his bike is over 125cc, the fine is $395.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic