License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:58 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 pm well easiest is
go back home, file a lost license at the police station there. yea, its fucked but.......and ya cant do it tomorrow but
than return to Aeon 2 and get a replacement license.

or drive without one
You could do that just now because they have relaxed the traffic laws temporary because of the covid19 problem. But if atst was pulled for no licence, and he needs one because his bike is over 125cc, the fine is $395.
is that for real?
How many Cambodians DONT have licenses, and how many are stopped and end up being fined $395 ( average about 1 1/2 months wages
That is just an unbelievable fine, (here in Thailand its caught without license 500 baht)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

go back home, file a lost license at the police station there. yea, its fucked but.......and ya cant do it tomorrow but

or drive without one
You could do that just now because they have relaxed the traffic laws temporary because of the covid19 problem. But if atst was pulled for no licence, and he needs one because his bike is over 125cc, the fine is $395.
I do have a license it hasn't expired I've just lost the piece of paper, I have a copy of it on my phone, not sure what would happen if checked,
Am I unlicensed if I don't have my license on me I hope not.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am

or drive without one
I do have a license it hasn't expired I've just lost the piece of paper, I have a copy of it on my phone, not sure what would happen if checked,
Am I unlicensed if I don't have my license on me I hope not.
Knowing you are in Cambodia, you do realize that they only accept what's physical right? Even on phone, it's useless.... For i can PS one exact for myself without the real one...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:39 am

or drive without one
is that for real?
How many Cambodians DONT have licenses, and how many are stopped and end up being fined $395 ( average about 1 1/2 months wages
That is just an unbelievable fine, (here in Thailand its caught without license 500 baht)
Yes, that is for real, there's been a few westerners will tell you their experiences on Facebook pages.
When the new traffic laws came out, the reasons were to reduce traffic accidents, and also to give traffic police encouragement to carry out the laws, they are allowed has I understand to keep 70% of the fine monies, this has apparently as given boost to the Phnom Penh traffic policeman's pocket of an extra bonus of @$500 per month. Other traffic police bonus varies around the country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic