Where have the beggars gone?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by bong.kuit »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm Since when is the word petite gender specific??
Since it has an 'e' at the end. The male form is 'petit'.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

bong.kuit wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm Since when is the word petite gender specific??
Since it has an 'e' at the end. The male form is 'petit'.
Thank you, I’ve learnt something.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

It’s low season and beggars target tourists. They’ll be back soon!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
"Un tout petit enfant"... Ca ne se dit pas?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

taabarang wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
"Un tout petit enfant"... Ca ne se dit pas?
I don't speak French, but I think that enfant is a masculine noun so it would take a masculine adjective. However I don't really know.

Is petit enfant a phrase in English? I've never heard it.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 pm Asked missus about the absence of beggars on the streets of Phnom Penh. Answer is they have been banned from begging.
I don't think so. I was in PP for 3 days last week. Saw at least a dozen beggars while there. The guy with the big growth on his face, the dwarf, at least 4 "mums with kids", older ladies and street kids. As someone else said, numbers are down due to it being low season, but they don't appeared to have been banned.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK, I missed your point about English words used.in combination with French adjectives; I was thinking in French

I will.say.however that I have never heard. "petit theft" before only "petty theft." Petty does of course have the French word "petit' as its etymological origin
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic