Where have the beggars gone?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
bong.kuit
Expatriate
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 pm
Reputation: 60

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by bong.kuit » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:02 pm

rozzieoz wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Since when is the word petite gender specific??
Since it has an 'e' at the end. The male form is 'petit'.
User avatar
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Posts: 3348
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm
Reputation: 1295
Australia

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by rozzieoz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm

bong.kuit wrote:
rozzieoz wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Since when is the word petite gender specific??
Since it has an 'e' at the end. The male form is 'petit'.
Thank you, I’ve learnt something.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
User avatar
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
Posts: 2417
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am
Reputation: 1176
India

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by prahocalypse now » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm

However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
User avatar
fax
Expatriate
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am
Reputation: 1224
Korea North

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by fax » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 am

It’s low season and beggars target tourists. They’ll be back soon!
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 974
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by taabarang » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am

prahocalypse now wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm
However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
"Un tout petit enfant"... Ca ne se dit pas?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
User avatar
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
Posts: 2417
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am
Reputation: 1176
India

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by prahocalypse now » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am

taabarang wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am
prahocalypse now wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm
However, petit is not used as an adjective to describe males in English. It's only used in phrases borrowed from French, such as petit bourgeois and petit theft.
"Un tout petit enfant"... Ca ne se dit pas?
I don't speak French, but I think that enfant is a masculine noun so it would take a masculine adjective. However I don't really know.

Is petit enfant a phrase in English? I've never heard it.
User avatar
Hotdigr
Expatriate
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Reputation: 180

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by Hotdigr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 pm
Asked missus about the absence of beggars on the streets of Phnom Penh. Answer is they have been banned from begging.
I don't think so. I was in PP for 3 days last week. Saw at least a dozen beggars while there. The guy with the big growth on his face, the dwarf, at least 4 "mums with kids", older ladies and street kids. As someone else said, numbers are down due to it being low season, but they don't appeared to have been banned.
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 974
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Where have the beggars gone?

Post by taabarang » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:05 am

OK, I missed your point about English words used.in combination with French adjectives; I was thinking in French

I will.say.however that I have never heard. "petit theft" before only "petty theft." Petty does of course have the French word "petit' as its etymological origin
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lurcio, SINUS and 436 guests