Recent Sihanoukville info and guide

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Recent Sihanoukville info and guide

Post by taabarang »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pm Taabarang - The Glory Hole is a distant memory, you are the only one who brings it up.
I am blessed with a long memory combined with an intolerance for stupidity, no .matter how sbort lived it may have been.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
gdtgdt
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by gdtgdt »

hi, sorry but I am also wondering, why hotels are not cheaper if nobody goes to Sihanoukville ? Thank you.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

gdtgdt wrote:hi, sorry but I am also wondering, why hotels are not cheaper if nobody goes to Sihanoukville ? Thank you.
Nobody is everyone that isn’t part of the People’s Republic of China horde. Unfortunately they outnumber all previous number of visitors to Sihanoukville. Supply and demand.
snookvisitor
Tourist

Post by snookvisitor »

I'm going because I'm interested in Chinese development/investment/tourism and how it effects the receiving countries.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Even the locals have left or wish they could
snookvisitor
Tourist

Post by snookvisitor »

Ah, I'd also like to know where I can find the markets and when they open.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

gdtgdt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 pm hi, sorry but I am also wondering, why hotels are not cheaper if nobody goes to Sihanoukville ? Thank you.
Because in this part of the world, the laws of supply and demand are not like the rest of the world. Here, if supply is too high, the price goes up to make up for lost revenue because the supply is too high. Perfectly logical.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I wouldn't ride a bicycle, unless you enjoy hospitals and premature death. Unless you have ridden a scooter in Asia before I might give that one a miss, too. The Chinese are even worse drivers than the khmers. It's still pissing down with rain so the streets and beaches are going to be covered in rivers of actual shit, what little there is left of the streets. My friend did a trans Africa thing through the DRC and he said the roads were better than the ones in Shv. I guess you could go up to Kbal Chhay, you're probably going to want to stay at Otres village.
If you do need a taxi hit up my neighbour Windy, he speaks Australian. He got kicked out of Australia for sleeping at his job and getting fired. I can PM his number. He does tours and will know a tuc-tuc driver you can use.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

You can ask the hotel reception for a scooter. I rent mine 5$ per day, you can have cheaper. Just avoid the Golden Lion roundabout, police will arrest you and ask money...
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

gdtgdt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 pm hi, sorry but I am also wondering, why hotels are not cheaper if nobody goes to Sihanoukville ? Thank you.
Actually more people goes there now days then before. Arrivals are increasing every day. Less westeners goes there (though the amount is not much different to past, even though many people here wants to think differently). Also lot of chinese have bought/rented old hotels/guesthouses where they now live and many old hotels have been demolished so new developments can be built = shortage of hotels. First batch of the new hotels have completed recently are opening now soon as well as few of the new apartment buildings are completing soon so situation might get better. But it just might as more chinese tourists are arriving every day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic