Native English Speaker Looking For Work In Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Native English Speaker Looking For Work In Phnom Penh

Post by IraHayes »

You should do yourself a favour and seriously rethink your plans. I just had a quick look at your 11 posts. And your writing style would suggest someone young and inexperienced. Its just a gut feeling I had when reading your posts so if I'm off the mark then so be it. But certain phrases you use and your style ... well its all unicorns and rainbows in "Never past bedtime land".
eg. "English Teacher, that is the job I would like more than anything" .... to want something more than anything.... I really have never met an adult who would say this. 5 year olds just before Xmas, yeah, maybe .. but an adult? Nope.
I would also be interested in your definition of many years... I am going to have a wild stab in the dark and say 3 or 4. So .... keep your wide eyed innocence safe and seriously, stay home. Literally, stay home. I wouldn't advise even going out.. order online and have it delivered.

It's the only way to be sure.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

white skin and willingness to wear a tie are the main requirements really.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Sad but true! Damn Frank always on point lol
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Zhivago451 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 pm Hi everyone. I am a native English speaking self taught linguist. I am planning to move to Phnom Penh Cambodia in January of 2019 and I am looking for work. I do not have a degree of any kind nor a TEFL certificate. I do however have many years of experience in teaching English to foreign exchange students that I have befriended coming to my country; and I have experience as an interpreter. While I am not specifically looking for a job as an English Teacher, that is the job I would like more than anything. However I am open to any and all jobs so long as they pay decently enough. If anyone knows places that are hiring and looking for foreigners more specifically Native English speaking I would greatly appreciate and welcome any and all links, posts, and information on these places as I would like to set up a job for my arrival. Of course I plan to do a ton of searching myself once I arrive. Any advice or tips is appreciated. Thank you very much ahead of time and I look forward to hearing you all.
I really should copy and paste this.

1 - Be here. Physically. Being somewhere else simply doesn't work. Remote job applications aren't currently a thing in Cambodia.
2 - Prepare about 20 to 30 "CV packs", ready to hand out to schools. This involves see-through A4 sized envelopes which includes your cover letter (with passport sized photo attached on the top), so nobody needs to open your CV pack unless they want to. You can buy these from stationers in Phnom Penh at a very low cost. Include copies of your passport, long term visas, work permits, TEFL certificates, degrees and anything else you feel is relevant.
3 - Spend a few days walking around schools in PP, handing out your CV packs. You will almost always encounter receptionists who don't appear as concerned about your job hunting as you do, but you won't have a choice but to leave your CV packs with them. Don't worry about it. They will pass it on to those concerned.
4 - Wait a good two or three weeks. Assuming your cover letter, photo and CV were of acceptable, professional standard, you'll start to get phone calls (you did put your phone number on your CV didn't you?)
5 - Attend interviews in a timely manner. Don't be late. Answer all questions in a professional manner. Convince them that you're the teacher they've been waiting for. Make them believe that you have the enthusiasm, drive, commitment and knowledge to be that one Western teacher the other schools might lose out on.
6 - Wait to be given a job. If you've been afforded an interview, unless you're a total twat who's totally fucked up the interview, you've already got the job.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Dude, we get that you're a :
...but what else can you do?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

simon43 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:27 pm
...and I have experience as an interpreter
Interpreter? Your post doesn't make clear what you actually interpret from and to? Judging by your written English grammar/punctuation skills, I assume you interpret from correct English into fcuked-up English.

Anyway, I'm all ears to know :)
Well then I can see that a bunch of fuck wads are way up past their naptime on these forums. I come on here asking for some help and advice and people like you have nothing more to offer than your sad attempt at cyber bullying. If you want to be a keyboard warrior then stick to playing mmos because your input is about as useful as 2 bit drugged up $5 whore knee deep in her own filth and riddled with HIV. Which from my assumption is just your type because a pennyless useless fuck like yourself can't afford to take a real girl out on a proper date. Weighed down by your own adversity and no motivation or initiative to get your lazy ass up off the couch you feel the need to try and tear down the dreams and exhibitions of others because your own self worth is lower than that of a steaming pile of shit on the sidewalk on a hot summers day. Go back to school kid because there is no room on this playground for a chump like you.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Zhivago451 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm tear down the dreams and exhibitions of others

Damn brother, to be honest you didn't really set up your "dreams and exhibitions" for success considering you -

Zhivago451 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 pm do not have a degree of any kind nor a TEFL certificate.

Would you want to pay money to send your child to a language teacher with no formal training, a hair trigger temper and a foul mouth?

Me thinks not, Dr. Z

All that aside, Xandreu gives sound advice, follow that and best of luck.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Zhivago451 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm
Interpreter? Your post doesn't make clear what you actually interpret from and to? Judging by your written English grammar/punctuation skills, I assume you interpret from correct English into fcuked-up English.

Well then I can see that a bunch of fuck wads are way up past their naptime on these forums. I come on here asking for some help and advice and people like you have nothing more to offer than your sad attempt at cyber bullying. If you want to be a keyboard warrior then stick to playing mmos because your input is about as useful as 2 bit drugged up $5 whore knee deep in her own filth and riddled with HIV. Which from my assumption is just your type because a pennyless useless fuck like yourself can't afford to take a real girl out on a proper date. Weighed down by your own adversity and no motivation or initiative to get your lazy ass up off the couch you feel the need to try and tear down the dreams and exhibitions of others because your own self worth is lower than that of a steaming pile of shit on the sidewalk on a hot summers day. Go back to school kid because there is no room on this playground for a chump like you.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about my gear, you little n00b? I’ll have you know I am a lvl 90 Undead Arcane Mage, and I’ve won so many PVP matches, and I have done raids on every 10 man heroic dungeon. I also have a fuckton of macros and I have a GS of 10K. You are nothing to me but just a lvl 12 gnome hunter. I will pwn the fuck out of you with Arcane Missiles the likes of which has never been seen before on Azeroth AND Outland, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over raid? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my guild of mages and shamans across The Eastern Kingdoms and your character is being targeted right now so you better prepare for the ownage, n00b. The Arcane Barrage that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your character. You’re fucking pwn'd, n00b. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my secondary talent tree. Not only am I extensively trained in Arcane magic, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Fire magic and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable neckbeard off the face of Azeroth, you little [slur removed]. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re getting debuffed, you goddamnn00b. I will shit Dragon's Breath all over you and you will burn in it. You’re fucking pwn'd, [slur removed].
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm
Zhivago451 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm

What the fuck did you just fucking say about my gear, you little n00b? I’ll have you know I am a lvl 90 Undead Arcane Mage, and I’ve won so many PVP matches, and I have done raids on every 10 man heroic dungeon. I also have a fuckton of macros and I have a GS of 10K. You are nothing to me but just a lvl 12 gnome hunter. I will pwn the fuck out of you with Arcane Missiles the likes of which has never been seen before on Azeroth AND Outland, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over raid? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my guild of mages and shamans across The Eastern Kingdoms and your character is being targeted right now so you better prepare for the ownage, n00b. The Arcane Barrage that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your character. You’re fucking pwn'd, n00b. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my secondary talent tree. Not only am I extensively trained in Arcane magic, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Fire magic and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable neckbeard off the face of Azeroth, you little [slur removed]. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re getting debuffed, you goddamnn00b. I will shit Dragon's Breath all over you and you will burn in it. You’re fucking pwn'd, [slur removed].
Lmfao!!!😂😂😂 You win! Fuck it I can't beat that😂 Not even going to try. You know what bro, I like you. That was pretty fucking awesome. You win hands down👊😎 See you in Azeroth😂
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

Brody wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:47 pm
Zhivago451 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm tear down the dreams and exhibitions of others

Damn brother, to be honest you didn't really set up your "dreams and exhibitions" for success considering you -

Zhivago451 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 pm do not have a degree of any kind nor a TEFL certificate.

Would you want to pay money to send your child to a language teacher with no formal training, a hair trigger temper and a foul mouth?

Me thinks not, Dr. Z

All that aside, Xandreu gives sound advice, follow that and best of luck.
True all true. I wouldnt pay to send my child to someone like that. Thanks for helping me come to that realization. I will need to correct my attitude and approach on things. Xandreu does indeed give sound advice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic