Backpacker faces 10 years in Thai jail for defacing Chiang Mai wall

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Re: Backpacker faces 10 years in Thai jail for defacing Chiang Mai wall

Post by sklmeera »

Hahahah Well done mate . I find it ridiculous how important that red brick wall is to them . I mean all the dumb tourists standing around there and photographing that pile of bricks . WTF is wrong with them ....or is it me ?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

sklmeera wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:21 am Hahahah Well done mate . I find it ridiculous how important that red brick wall is to them . I mean all the dumb tourists standing around there and photographing that pile of bricks . WTF is wrong with them ....or is it me ?
It's you
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Looks like it's not just a problem in Thailand.

Foreign tourists are vandalizing the iconic yellow walls of the central ancient town of Hoi An with graffiti, local authorities say.

Le Quang Trung, People's Committee Chairman of Hoi An's Minh An Ward, told VnExpress: “People who draw these graffiti are mostly drunk foreigners. After their evening drink, they buy paint and spray on these walls.”

https://e.vnexpress.net/projects/hoi-an ... index.html

You'll notice the Vietnamese don't go into a petulant frenzy even though it's a World Heritage Site:

“We warned them and filed a complaint,” Trung said, explaining the graffiti would usually be names and funny signs and nothing offensive.

Hoi An authorities are planning to repaint many defaced walls."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

All travelers should consider himself or herself as a guest of the host country and as a guest one should respect the host. Surely vandalizing a host’s property is very disrespectful and should be dealt with by the law.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:13 pm Looks like it's not just a problem in Thailand.

Foreign tourists are vandalizing the iconic yellow walls of the central ancient town of Hoi An with graffiti, local authorities say.

Le Quang Trung, People's Committee Chairman of Hoi An's Minh An Ward, told VnExpress: “People who draw these graffiti are mostly drunk foreigners. After their evening drink, they buy paint and spray on these walls.”

You'll notice the Vietnamese don't go into a petulant frenzy even though it's a World Heritage Site:

“We warned them and filed a complaint,” Trung said, explaining the graffiti would usually be names and funny signs and nothing offensive.

If that is done by foreigners Ill eat my hat .
expatfamily
Tourist
United States of America

Post by expatfamily »

Is that wall really that old ???

I mean the condos in Bangkok which are 1 or 2 years old are already falling apart.....
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

expatfamily wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:34 am Is that wall really that old ???

I mean the condos in Bangkok which are 1 or 2 years old are already falling apart.....
My thoughts exactly.

Whilst searching for some info, I came across this site:

http://bytelife.altervista.org/history.htm

which states that:
The few remains of the wall at the four corners of Chiang Mai are not original; in 1996 - 1997 archaeological excavations were made, before the wall remains were extensively renovated. They reused old bricks mixed with new brickwork to restore what remained of the walls. Unfortunately the remains are just some low walls close to the corners of the old town.

The bastions on the four corners seem to be quite original; but all of them have been restored, some of them several times, in centuries past. At the north-east corner, Jaeng Sri Phum bastion, the excavation site has been covered with a roof and left open.
Also:
The modern Thapae Gate (or Tha Phae Gate) looks from afar like a modern wall, and it certainly is contemporary. It is a totally straight reconstruction from 1985 built around a concrete structure; it is very loosely based on an old photograph of the Thapae Gate from 1899. Therefore, the new Thapae Gate wall is very much fake and has nothing to do with the original gate and walls. It is oversized, nothing in the material is original, the ramparts are too large, and everything is totally fake. The only part that looks like the original is the hardwood door which looks like the city door on the historical photo.

Lots of interesting info, photos and maps as well.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Looks like there has been a final determination by the court in this case with the two defendents let off with a fine and no jail time: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.4902611
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

paul2d wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 pm Looks like there has been a final determination by the court in this case with the two defendents let off with a fine and no jail time: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.4902611
After reading what she said I believe she is truly remorseful. Her society should be more forgiving towards her and perhaps should pay for her therapy sessions for the terrible ordeal she must have been through in Thai jail.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

sklmeera wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 pm
sigmoid wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:13 pm Looks like it's not just a problem in Thailand.

If that is done by foreigners Ill eat my hat .
Do you want salt or sauce with that hat? =@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic