Return ticket/ticket out rule changes?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Return ticket/ticket out rule changes?

Post by Hotdigr »

I was talking to a bloke yesterday who has just moved here permanently. He told me that as of the election, the Cambodian government now demands that all first time visitors to the country, or basically anyone not holding a valid multi entry visa, must show they have a return ticket, or at least a ticket out of the country, dated no more then 30 days after their arrival date. This makes no sense to me for a number of reasons. First - that you can legally renew a tourist visa for an extra 30 days. Second - where does that leave people coming here who are coming either for work and will apply for the EB visa, or to look for work and are eligible for the EG visa. And Third - I have heard nothing about it in the normal media or on social media.
He told me that the Australian government advised him of this. He also told me that he is a director of a company here and they organised a 12 month visa for him before he got here. To give him his due, I asked to see his passport and that part seems true. He has a 12 month EB visa, but no 1 month initial EB visa. Its not a new passport and has his various tourist visa's in it from when he has visited previously
Can anyone confirm or refute the ticket "allegations"?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Return ticket/ticket out rule changes?

Post by Bubble T »

It's real but it's pretty normal, happens in a lot of countries. You can just book a ticket out and then cancel it when you get here, no big deal.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I have arrived here three times since the election without a visa (coming back from Vietnam, Thailand and Europe).

Not saying the policy hasn't changed but nobody asked to see an onward ticket (which I didn't have)
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

I think you got ripped.

Arrived 3 weeks ago from Stockholm, but was in the US for a month before. One-way ticket, no questions.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Never, even since the election, have I been asked to provide evidence of onward travel. There has been no sub-decree published announcing such a change. If this was indeed been enforced, there would be reports all over social media about it.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:53 pm Never, even since the election, have I been asked to provide evidence of onward travel. There has been no sub-decree published announcing such a change. If this was indeed been enforced, there would be reports all over social media about it.
Cheers mate, you were the one I was hoping to hear from. That settles the argument as far as I am concerned! He is full of shit as I gently mentioned to him last night
Dilby, I didn't get ripped mate, I have never in over 6 years living here, had less then a 6 month multi entry visa. Only once been asked if I had a return ticket, showed them my passport and was waved on. Thanks for your input but.
EDIT: I was a bit harsh on Dilby in my original reply to him, so I have deleted it.. Mate, don't make assumptions though please.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm EDIT: I was a bit harsh on Dilby in my original reply to him, so I have deleted it.. Mate, don't make assumptions though please.
You should have let it stay. Dilhole is just a vladimir / that genius, sock. I can't believe we're going through this shite again.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm
EDIT: I was a bit harsh on Dilby in my original reply to him, so I have deleted it.. Mate, don't make assumptions though please.
No my friend you weren't, he's a try hard
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:46 pm I have arrived here three times since the election without a visa (coming back from Vietnam, Thailand and Europe).

Not saying the policy hasn't changed but nobody asked to see an onward ticket (which I didn't have)
Yes, me too, a month ago. Never a question at all about onward passage.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Brody wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:12 pm EDIT: I was a bit harsh on Dilby in my original reply to him, so I have deleted it.. Mate, don't make assumptions though please.
You should have let it stay. Dilhole is just a vladimir / that genius, sock. I can't believe we're going through this shite again.
Fuk it. Here I am trying to turn over a new, gentler, more ....Politically Correct I s'pose, leaf and I get taken in by bloody Vlad!
More fool me I, I should have picked it/him! :facepalm:
Maybe I'll just go back to being a complete c"nt again 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic