Clean clothes in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Clean clothes in Phnom Penh?

Post by bvanfossen »

I have a nice new washing machine in my apartment but with the damn water in Phnom Penh my clothes are not clean as they should be. I made the mistake of buying a detergent I've never heard of before, maybe that's it?

Any recommendations?
BawBawFett
Expatriate

Re: Clean clothes

Post by BawBawFett »

Suck it up. no hot water here.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

BawBawFett wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 pm Suck it up. no hot water here.
Great related reply. Neither is their hot water in the province I also stay at. Stop whining

I work in a Professional setting and need clean clothes, so any helpful suggestions are appreciated
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Re: Clean clothes in Phnom Penh?

Post by Dilby »

What is wrong with the water?

Phnom Penh has better water quality than several American cities, and the water supply authority has won a few awards from international organisations.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

bvanfossen wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 pm I have a nice new washing machine in my apartment but with the damn water in Phnom Penh my clothes are not clean as they should be. I made the mistake of buying a detergent I've never heard of before, maybe that's it?

Any recommendations?

If you are referring to all white shirts, soak them overnight in water with additional bleach . Available in all supermarket. Wash by hand and dont wash with other clothes .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

bvanfossen wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 pm I have a nice new washing machine in my apartment but with the damn water in Phnom Penh my clothes are not clean as they should be. I made the mistake of buying a detergent I've never heard of before, maybe that's it?

Any recommendations?
1. The Soap is no good. Easy to buy a brand you have heard of and try again
2. Water is dirty - Easy to visually check
3. The machine is shit
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I once owned a motel and the old cleaning lady said there's a old trick you can try to tell if the laundry powder is OK, by grabbing a big handful and squeezing it hard in the palm of your hand. If you can feel it heat up after a few minuets , it's OK. Yea, it sounds crazy, but she's right. Try it yourself.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

bvanfossen wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:07 amI work in a Professional setting and need clean clothes, so any helpful suggestions are appreciated
I had to laugh. Professional setting...in Cambodia.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

It must be the detergent. Ring around the collar won't come out, etc. Wife has been cleaning dress shirts by hand.

My white shirts turn light brown lol. But ya as stated extra bleach fixes those up.

The detergent I've always used and my mom does is $13 a small jug here :shock:

What laundry detergent do you use?
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Dilby wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 am What is wrong with the water?

Phnom Penh has better water quality than several American cities, and the water supply authority has won a few awards from international organisations.
ty for the laugh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic