Tourists Systematically Extorted at the Cambodia-Laos Border (VIDEO)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tourists Systematically Extorted at the Cambodia-Laos Border (VIDEO)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

13 October 2018
A video taken by a foreigner has recently been making the rounds on social media, showing a border guard at Dom Kralor asking for $5 extra to process an entry visa into Cambodia. According to authorities, the video is old news and was filmed last year. They say that travelers have no extra charges to pay at that border crossing.
However, the immigration officials at that border crossing are notoriously corrupt, and they systematically demand a "stamp fee" of $2-5 to stamp travelers in and out of both countries. Despite denials by the authorities, there is no reason to believe that the situation has improved since last year. It is doubtful, but perhaps this video will shame the national authorities into calling their troops to order.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourists Systematically Extorted at the Cambodia-Laos Border (VIDEO)

Post by sigmoid »

Well, it's all part of the game and if you want to play (enter the country), then you have follow the unspoken rules and pay up. It's a piddly amount that at the end of your life won't make any difference.

The time I crossed this border about 5 years ago, the immigration dudes presented a handmade sign that said "Cambodia visa: 1500 baht" (about $45). I gave them three 500-baht notes and they gave me a visa.

As they say, don't sweat the small stuff and you'll enjoy life a lot more.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I don't consider corruption "small stuff" in Cambodia. It's so endemic that it is not a problem, but the whole system. The govt. saves money on salaries thanks to it and the officials who work at the border pay corruption money to higher ups to get the job. It's one of the last vestiges of the economic failure called communism.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm It's a piddly amount
...that adds up to large amounts. Just take a look at the cars many of these Immigration Officials drive and the houses they live in.

Don't feed corruption, as it only encourages it...play the game by being smarter and standing up for yourself.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I think weekend is classed as overtime. They may even have advice on that $5 fee
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Coming through PP airport a few years ago the immigration guy asked softly as I handed him my passport "Five dollars for me?" I feigned deafness a couple of times at his repeated question with "What?", until he would have had to yelled it across the terminal had he continued his corrupt pursuit. He waved me on angrily.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm Coming through PP airport a few years ago the immigration guy asked softly as I handed him my passport "Five dollars for me?" I feigned deafness a couple of times at his repeated question with "What?", until he would have had to yelled it across the terminal had he continued his corrupt pursuit. He waved me on angrily.

So you weren't wearing your tag around your neck

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm Well, it's all part of the game and if you want to play (enter the country), then you have follow the unspoken rules and pay up. It's a piddly amount that at the end of your life won't make any difference.

The time I crossed this border about 5 years ago, the immigration dudes presented a handmade sign that said "Cambodia visa: 1500 baht" (about $45). I gave them three 500-baht notes and they gave me a visa.

I never paid the bribes, and always felt the better for it. Don't give corruption a free pass.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:49 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm Well, it's all part of the game and if you want to play (enter the country), then you have follow the unspoken rules and pay up. It's a piddly amount that at the end of your life won't make any difference.

I never paid the bribes, and always felt the better for it. Don't give corruption a free pass.
Well sigmoid, if you were in the know you woulda had USD handy in small denominators, seems like farang like to splurge/ burn cash as soon as they hit the khmer border.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm Coming through PP airport a few years ago the immigration guy asked softly as I handed him my passport "Five dollars for me?" I feigned deafness a couple of times at his repeated question with "What?", until he would have had to yelled it across the terminal had he continued his corrupt pursuit. He waved me on angrily.
I have never had issues at PIA , but the land borders are systematically cheat systems. They will ask for a stamp fee and/or health fee. Smile and just say no. :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic