Tourists Systematically Extorted at the Cambodia-Laos Border (VIDEO)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Tourists Systematically Extorted at the Cambodia-Laos Border (VIDEO)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm Coming through PP airport a few years ago the immigration guy asked softly as I handed him my passport "Five dollars for me?" I feigned deafness a couple of times at his repeated question with "What?", until he would have had to yelled it across the terminal had he continued his corrupt pursuit. He waved me on angrily.
I have never had issues at PIA , but the land borders are systematically cheat systems. They will ask for a stamp fee and/or health fee. Smile and just say no. :mrgreen:
Same here...not once have I been asked for tea money by Immigration officials when flying in, and I fly in/out very regularly. Land borders yes, but I have always stood my ground and never paid requested tea money, politely and respectfully of course, no help getting frustrated and aggressive.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm Coming through PP airport a few years ago the immigration guy asked softly as I handed him my passport "Five dollars for me?" I feigned deafness a couple of times at his repeated question with "What?", until he would have had to yelled it across the terminal had he continued his corrupt pursuit. He waved me on angrily.
I have never had issues at PIA , but the land borders are systematically cheat systems. They will ask for a stamp fee and/or health fee. Smile and just say no. :mrgreen:
Same here...not once have I been asked for tea money by Immigration officials when flying in, and I fly in/out very regularly. Land borders yes, but I have always stood my ground and never paid requested tea money, politely and respectfully of course, no help getting frustrated and aggressive.
I can't know for sure, but perhaps entering on a tourist visa may have had some bearing, or my goofy appearance.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Are you Asian looking or dark-skinned? Asians and darker skinned people DO often get extorted by Immigration even when arriving via air. They usually leave whiteys alone.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Nah, I'm a whitey.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well sigmoid, if you were in the know you woulda had USD handy in small denominators, seems like farang like to splurge/ burn cash as soon as they hit the khmer border.....
Thanks for the handy tip, but I haven't touched any US dollars for years now. I used to carry around a roll of $1 bills and hand them out to helpful locals in order to get rid of them. Now, I prefer to use just local currencies and hold Swiss francs.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm Well, it's all part of the game and if you want to play (enter the country), then you have follow the unspoken rules and pay up. It's a piddly amount that at the end of your life won't make any difference.

The time I crossed this border about 5 years ago, the immigration dudes presented a handmade sign that said "Cambodia visa: 1500 baht" (about $45). I gave them three 500-baht notes and they gave me a visa.

As they say, don't sweat the small stuff and you'll enjoy life a lot more.
That's very strange. The price of a tourist visa is $30. And I don't think they take baht, but maybe if you have nothing else... They sure don't accept riel or kip.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

That's very strange. The price of a tourist visa is $30. And I don't think they take baht, but maybe if you have nothing else... They sure don't accept riel or kip.
Oh, it must have been that time I was temporarily trapped in an alternative universe and the $10 bills had a picture of the Thai king on them instead of Hamilton.

Anyway, I am sure you have travelled through this particular crossing on the border with Laos on numerous occasions.

Regarding the price, the point is that they were overcharging me but I didn't care. Due to the bus having broken down in Laos, I arrived late at the the border alone and was just trying to get through before sundown and get to a hotel and some dinner in Stung Treng asap.

Although neither of them truly exist, sometimes time is more important than money.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Thai - Cambodian crossings want baht. I agree it's up to the individual to pay or hold their ground to extortionate payment. I am certainly against paying for above something of value. Refuse to this some say. How long are you going to wait for them to refuse you entry in the hot sun.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic