Questions about Garage Bar Incident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Questions about Garage Bar Incident

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I do not mean to create problems that are meant to remain secret, but I have had several people in the last few years send me intriguing and curious messages through three different social media venues.

First, let me preface:
1. There were at least two occasions that my late ex felt threatened in some way. He wrote e mails to me and mentioned that if he went missing, not to be terribly surprised.

2. Garage Bar and the "adoption issue" in Cambodia seem to be somehow linked, along with a fellow with some anger issues. His name doesn't need to be mentioned here, and I have researched that person quite a bit, seen photos, read some things.

My question, and please write to me in a message if that is what is acceptable concerning this topic: what the hell went on? I am curious, and enough is enough. I want detail and narrative, if at all possible.

Grateful for any information, and please separate out "fact" and opinion when you write, either in this thread or in a message. Don't assume I know any of the story. I know only the vaguest of details

Regards, and thanks.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Questions about Garage Bar Incident

Post by Cinnamoncat »

To clarify: I fully believe that ex's death had nothing to do with Garage Bar, but mention ex's e mails to me as a point of interest. I am aware of another incident as well (that concerned him and his need for anonymity). Not sure any of this is important owing to his death, but is certainly curious and his piqued my curiosity.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's at least one poster on here who was there but I think he has Alzheimer's. I wasn't there but this account seems fairly accurate from what I've heard.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/dodge-c ... 32amy.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Didn’t the whole thing start with them wanting to beat up that guy with the most posts? I don’t think he was there but he should know what they wanted if they were searching for him.

KiR the man the myth the legend talked himself out of it and as usual was not seen at Garage for a very long time again.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think they mostly wanted to beat up Ken Svay who had made some sort of comment they didn't like. I heard KIR told them he was a missionary from Battambang and had a bus to catch so they let him go. I never really got what it was about.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe ken svay will reply here
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Is the fellow who basically kept everyone captive still in PP? I am shocked with the description of the incident. Hope he no longer drinks.

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cinnamoncat wrote:Is the fellow who basically kept everyone captive still in PP? I am shocked with the description of the incident. Hope he no longer drinks.
Steve Morrish. He was still here as of February 3, 2018, when he had an altercation with a Japanese dude on Street 130.

Australian STEVE MORRISH Arrested in Phnom Penh for Breaking Japanese Man's Nose in Drunken Street Fight

ImageImage
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm glad that C cat reminded me and everyone else of Garage Bars bad history, it could be the reason I dont drink there any more.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Duncan wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 am I'm glad that C cat reminded me and everyone else of Garage Bars bad history, it could be the reason I dont drink there any more.
Garage bar is a place where 4 owners have sold in 5 years and the patrons and surrounding culture changed multiple times but the final straw for you was one violent man who was there half a decade ago?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic