Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Remember that barang who accidently killed the khmer after chasing him down back in the day.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by hanno »

TOG wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm a little local justice goes a long way to solving the problems.
It does? I hadn’t noticed. Just like capital punishment, mob justice has no impact on crime rates. And the people beating down thieves do not do it because of some sense of civic duty but because there is nothing like venting one’s frustrations without fear of retribution.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

TOG wrote:@ epidemiks

Calm down dear, it's only a forum. You will get your knickers in a twist. Have a glass of whine.

And yes, I have been to Cambodia many times and yes, I have also been involved in stopping thieves running out of a shop and I have been in the line of fire many times while in the army (NI and Falklands) and as a civilian contractor in Iraq in 2004. Looking after your colleagues is number one priority.

I would not even hesitate to tackle anyone who was acting under such circumstances. However, you are very welcome to simply stand and watch like many other rubber neckers while people are robbed or murdered.

What a hero.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sure, Cambodia needs more vigilantes :mob: Especially foreign ones.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am

Calm down dear, it's only a forum. You will get your knickers in a twist. Have a glass of whine.

And yes, I have been to Cambodia many times and yes, I have also been involved in stopping thieves running out of a shop and I have been in the line of fire many times while in the army (NI and Falklands) and as a civilian contractor in Iraq in 2004. Looking after your colleagues is number one priority.

I would not even hesitate to tackle anyone who was acting under such circumstances. However, you are very welcome to simply stand and watch like many other rubber neckers while people are robbed or murdered.

What a hero.
No, just an ordinary guy who would not stand around when others are in trouble.

This current liberal world has produced too many pacifistic by-standers who would rather criminals got away with it rather than confront them.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

TOG wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am

What a hero.
No, just an ordinary guy who would not stand around when others are in trouble.

This current liberal world has produced too many pacifistic by-standers who would rather criminals got away with it rather than confront them.
The indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
imiss.you
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by imiss.you »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 pm
TOG wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm I am sure that there are many of us who think that this type of justice is how things should be. Caught red handed with absolutely no doubt as to guilt or innocence, the people have spoken and that is democracy at work.
I don’t actually think that. Mob justice is a sign of the police and authorities failing.
You are absolutely right
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pmThe indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
So do you think that vigilante groups such as the Gulabi Gang, the Red Brigade, the Guardian Angles and the Perv Busters should all be disbanded as they are not official law enforcers?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

TOG wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pmThe indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
So do you think that vigilante groups such as the Gulabi Gang, the Red Brigade, the Guardian Angles and the Perv Busters should all be disbanded as they are not official law enforcers?
Nice strawman.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 am Remember that barang who accidently killed the khmer after chasing him down back in the day.
What? Who/when?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic