UK Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

UK Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

For any Brits living in or considering a move to Thailand...Not sure if the UK Embassy in Cambodia have implemented the same?

KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: UK Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Seems that it should be more "official looking" to come from the British embassy. But since I am not British, what do I know.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Brits have called their embassy, which confirms it. It seems to be instigated by Thai immigration and will likely affect most embassies. A Canadian reports his embassy will end its income proof letter service, too.

This will probably be my last year for an extension because I figure if I don't need 65k a month, I'm not going to give unnecessary cash to these greedy baht billionaires. And I'm of the don't give a f*ck mind these days about Thailand.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

From my Thai sources, they say that it all coincides with the Big Joke taking over immigration. The Thai authorities are insisting that the embassies (not only the UK one) actually check and verify income statements from nationals. The embassies cannot of course do this as they are too busy carrying out other very important functions. (In fairness, it is an impossible task for them)

So.......the Big Joke wants to see regular monthly payments into Thai banks or deposits. That way, the banks and Thailand in general will benefit.

The plus side of this is that it will drive a lot of pathetic old mongers out of Thailand. The downside is that they will probably come to Cambodia.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Best thing I ever did was get my salary paid into my Thai bank account when I worked in Thailand rather than sent to the UK, now I just bring enough cash over every Christmas to top up to over 800k at visa renewal time. That said with these changes I think it might be sensible to keep my receipts from the exchange booth to show I've brought the money from overseas each time.

Always amusing to read the Thai Visa thread when something like this happens, I'll never understand why so many foreigners who seem to have a hatred towards Thailand and its regulations choose to live here, if it bothered me that much I'd bugger off somewhere that I found more acceptable. More than a few on that thread expressed an unwillingness to transfer their cash into Thailand because of a corrupt banking system, bizarre. I've found at work and personally the banking system to be perfectly efficient and I've never heard of any friends being defrauded by a bank.

If they decided to increase the 800k requirement significantly then I may review my situation given the decline in the exchange rate but in the past they have usually "grandfathered" those with existing visas. certainly pays to have a back up plan.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

TOG wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 pm
The plus side of this is that it will drive a lot of pathetic old mongers out of Thailand. The downside is that they will probably come to Cambodia.
I doubt there are that many "pathetic old mongers", ( ur words not mine) that live here on retirement extensions, (using the embassies letter) or are married that this would affect.
and cant see them moving over to Cambodia.

What this might do is push those that cant show the 65,000 or 800,000 to go via the many "agents"that will assist you in getting ur extension, ( as the immigration gets a kick back to make it work) going price is apx 18-25,000 baht

The brits that i know that have left in the past years, have been either cause their pensions are not worth as much as they used to be in Baht or for medical reasons.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic