Why 'Carollism' (of public figures) is damaging and disrespectful in eastern societies

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Why 'Carollism' (of public figures) is damaging and disrespectful in eastern societies

Post by britscienceteacher »

Trump's been a movie star, so it's perhaps unsurprising that he's been a Russian spy and gangster too (according to the papers). Oil the toilet roll holder and brace for another week's news, as, amid all the spin, the images of public figures fly off into the lavatory, with resignation after resignation. Either something doesn't work or it really is supposed to work like that.

Open a paper (news) and see the idiot cartoon figures of public officials. In 1970 Hunter S. Thompson published the article "The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved". In it he emphasises a lack of public acceptance (in the U.S.) of these cartoons. Since then Barack Obama has appeared on a magazine cover dressed as a terrorist and the media is revelling in (Lewis) Carollism on a daily basis. Public figures have become footballs for abuse by the papers and guilt magnets for everything that has gone wrong often at the expense of addressing the real issue. Separating reality from spin is sometimes very tough.

Eastern societies work different. Their media is not in the realms of game shows and talk shows. People may be genuinely offended if you write a Carollist piece on a public figure. If you read such a piece that hasn't been picked up by a moderator don't assume that it is genuine, or reflects the real views of the poster. The writer may in fact belong to a group such as 'Trolls On Guard'.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why 'Carollism' (of public figures) is damaging and disrespectful in eastern societies

Post by Clemen »

Now "his" posts make sense, I thought it was cuz he's in Africa and had done too much Khat
up to you...
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

I don't promote Hunter S. Thompson, although he's sometimes funny

Post by britscienceteacher »

Clemen wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm Now "his" posts make sense, I thought it was cuz he's in Africa and had done too much Khat
I don't take drugs. I did read Hunter S. Thompson after considering that his style fitted quite well with this sight. I was going to write something in a similar style, but admittedly I don't think I really can or want to. The reason being that the year he spent with that club, The Hell's Angels really shaped his writing, and it's really experience that shapes writing. It can't be faked. If I found myself surrounded by characters like that I'd be making my excuses and leaving...
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: I don't promote Hunter S. Thompson, although he's sometimes funny

Post by TOG »

britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm. If I found myself surrounded by characters like that I'd be making my excuses and leaving...
Quickest way to end up as someones bitch. You cannot just join and then leave these type of people. You have to have a similar mentality in the first place to even approach them.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Re: Why 'Carollism' (of public figures) is damaging and disrespectful in eastern societies

Post by bong.kuit »

There is a proverb that goes something like 'what does the tree care when the pig is rubbing itself against it'. It means that powerful people should have thick skin, otherwise they are in the wrong place.

What is it with this extreme sensitivity of Asian leaders? It reminds me of kids here in Cambodia who start to cry when another kid calls them names. Just because someone says something about you, it doesn't mean it's true.

Are you paid by the CCP to write that stuff 'britscienceteacher'? It sure does look like it.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

And then of course we have China (that bastion of freedom and the best internet in the world) banning Winnie the Pooh because he looks like China's President Xi Jinping.

You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

The final paragraph doesn't come close to answering the post title's question.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i needs about fiddy cent
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:32 pm The final paragraph doesn't come close to answering the post title's question.
He's just following his usual "non sequitur" line of reasoning. :D Interestingly: Carrollism is a colloquial name given to the singular religion of Joe Carroll's cult. The term was first referenced by Debra Parker in "The Curse". ... In this bizarre religion that the cult has created, giving up your life makes you the ultimate paragon and grants you sanctity.http://thefollowing.wikia.com/wiki/Carrollism
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: I don't promote Hunter S. Thompson, although he's sometimes funny

Post by Jerry Atrick »

britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm The reason being that the year he spent with that club, The Hell's Angels really shaped his writing, and it's really experience that shapes writing.
I've read about everything Thompson has had published over the years (whether article, letters, short stories or full length books), from when he was 18 until his death and I can't agree with the above statement. His writing style did not change dramatically after the Hells angels book.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic