Truth on China - Chinese net best in world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Truth on China - Chinese net best in world

Post by TOG »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm My experience - some positive truths about China
As I posted before, when your posts are readable they are interesting.

China is a great example.

You say "My experience - some positives truths about China". This in itself is not true. It is your positive experience on China, not the truth about China.

I constantly state that everything is relative (even that parasite of a daughter of mine) and this is clearly the case with you. China's internet seems positive to you because of what and where you used it for. However, for the billion plus masses of the Middle Kingdom plus just about every comment I have heard in documentaries by travelers and news reporters to China, they cannot experience the full advantage of the internet due to State censorship and control.

In this argument, you are on your own unless you take into account the official Chinese state sponsored opinion.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is censorship by connectivity unthinkable or sensitive?

Post by britscienceteacher »

Dilby wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:27 pm One word. Naive.
Who is naive?

Are you open to the idea that some people experience censorship by connectivity outside of China? Or is the idea unthinkable?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: That's my personal experience of internet connectivity

Post by Bubble T »

britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 pm
Dilby wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:27 pm One word. Naive.
Who is naive?

Are you open to the idea that some people experience censorship by connectivity outside of China? Or is the idea unthinkable?
britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:43 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm this post is plain trolling.
does the prc pay for this kind of propaganda?
I'm sorry that my experience disagrees with your views Frank. If you have ever experienced 'serious, serial internet connectivity problems' then you will know what I mean. There are many people who have absolutely idea about what goes on (and don't believe what others say) until they experience it personally. My wife is such a person, and if my son was there I usually get him to vouch for me so that she can understand. The plain truth is not desirable for many when it doesn't fit into the narrative. Reality is more nuanced than is presented by MSM.

With net neutrality now an issue, to me the trend is very clear.
The reality isn't nuanced at all, they blanket banned google and facebook. You're trying to make it more complicated than it is as a means of backing your way out of a completely unjustifiable position. Your experience is the same as anyone else in China, you can't use google or any other search engine that won't censor what the government doesn't want you to see, which includes massive portions of the internet as we know it. That isn't nuanced, it's just a simple statement of fact.
britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 pm Who is naive?
There is a world of difference between blanket banning the basic means by which people find information, and restricting access to certain specific individual sites. Either you don't understand that and you are naive, or you do understand it and you're trolling. Which is it?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

britscienceteacher wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm John Pilger says that there is a lot of senseless China-bashing right now. He's right.
Had your thread been just about your experiences in China, it would have been without criticism as they were your views but when you start to quote people and state that this is the truth, it moves into a different arena.

Quoting people like John Pilger as an example actually harms your case rather than strengthen it. In layman's terms, Pilger is a nut job, an unapologetic supporter of extreme left regimes and a racist.

John Pilger is a strong critic of American, Australian and British foreign policy saying they are driven by Imperialist agendas. He even called President Obama a glossy Uncle Tom. He has said that Russia was innocent of the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal.

Quiet a man to use as a reference.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Come on OP... fess up and admit you are no more a British science teacher than I am a chinmathsteacher or indeed Clutch Cargo :stir: :hattip:
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm Come on OP... fess up and admit you are no more a British science teacher than I am a chinmathsteacher or indeed Clutch Cargo :stir: :hattip:
I firmly believe that BS is exactly what he claims to be.

His posts are fully in keeping with a left leaning pseudo intellectual and not that he will believe me, they could actually be very interesting and well worth debate.

Unfortunately, in writing in a style that tries to make the OP look superior to the majority of us less educated and inferior plebs, it simply just fails to work.

Intellectuals should debate amongst themselves where vague and factually unsupported statements are the norm, not forums where beer swilling sex pats form the majority.

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

You misjudge us beer swilling sexpats by assuming we are the majority on this forum.
Jamie ,FLB,Gonk and I do not make a majority............................
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

TOG wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm Come on OP... fess up and admit you are no more a British science teacher than I am a chinmathsteacher or indeed Clutch Cargo :stir: :hattip:
His posts are fully in keeping with a left leaning pseudo intellectual

Unfortunately, in writing in a style that tries to make the OP look superior to the majority of us less educated and inferior plebs, it simply just fails to work.
What gave the game away for me was the use of the term 'allied countries' and the generally clumsy style of english. bs
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Not idea if the Chinese are no.1 with regard to the net, they sure are when it comes to executions. Oh sorry, is that bashing?

I tried to stay positive and did not mention Tibet, East Turkestan, the Philippines, Central Asia as samples for Colonialism.

Nazi Germany was very safe for tourist, did great Olympic Games, had punctual trains, was leading in the development of TV and, yes, had those camps.

[Mod edit: You make good points, and no need to add insults on top.]
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It does make logical sense in a perverted way. The state needs to monitor every aspect of their citizenry with facial recognition to GPS cellphone location monitoring to heaven knows what else. This creates enormous amounts of data.

All that data requires very fast pipes in order to create a real time status on every citizen all the time.

And large data centers with enormous processing power to boot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic