Truth on China - Chinese net best in world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Truth on China - Chinese net best in world

Post by frank lee bent »

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-chi ... hts-2018-6

Planting spies, paying people to post on social media, and pretending the news doesn't exist: This is how China tries to distract people from human rights abuses.

The Chinese Communist Party is keen to portray itself as a peaceful and scandal-free power.
It refuses to acknowledge its human rights abuses, and discrimination against LGBT community and feminists.
It's not easy to do in the digital age, where nearly half of China's citizens use the internet.
These are four of the most commonly used tricks in the party's playbook.

The ways that China has been monitoring and ranking its citizens, secretly imprisoning ethnic minorities, and ignoring its LGBT community have been widely documented in the West.

But citizens in China itself may have no idea that any of these things are going on.

Beijing has a rich playbook of tactics to keep its 1.4 billion citizens from learning about the country's repression and abuse of human rights. They include paying people to flood the internet with pro-government social media posts, setting up police surveillance points to watch over ethnic communities, and banning content criticising the Chinese government.

Here are the four most commonly used tricks in Beijing's playbook.

1. Planting social media posts to distract from controversial news
China pays two million people to fabricate pro-government social media posts and insert them in real time, many of which immediately after controversial events, a Harvard University report found in 2016.

The commentators — known as the "50 cent party," because they are allegedly paid 50 Chinese cents ($0.08/£0.06) per post — publish around 448 million posts a year, the researchers found. About half of them are stealthily inserted into social media sites in real time, while the others are posted on government sites.

Some examples include:

"Respect to all the people who have greatly contributed to the prosperity and success of the Chinese civilization! The heroes of the people are immortal."

"Carry the red flag stained with the blood of our forefathers, and unswervingly follow the path of the CCP!"

"I love China."

Jennifer Pan, one of the authors of the Harvard paper, told Business Insider: "On social media, instead of engaging on controversial issues, China puts out massive amounts of happy, positive cheerleading posts. These posts seem aimed at distracting the public from controversial and central issues of the day."

xinjiang riot police
Chinese soldiers in riot gear outside the Id Kah Mosque, China's largest, in Xinjiang in 2014. Getty
When deadly riots broke out between Uighur ethnic minorities and Chinese police in Xinjiang, northwestern China in 2013, officials in the southeastern city of Ganzhou — located about 2,000 miles away — ordered 50 cent workers to immediately create hundreds of online posts lauding China's economic development in an attempt to divert people from the topic.

The instructions were revealed after an anonymous source leaked emails describing the strategy.

An online commentator paid to publish pro-government posts also revealed anonymously in 2012: "When transferring the attention of netizens [Chinese people on the internet] and blurring the public focus, going off the topic is very effective."

much more at the link. seem familiar/similar to some of the content from certain posters here?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm Yes, despite some complaints about censorship, CEO allows all sorts of loons to air their views. :shrug:
A very good example. well done.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I love China.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm I love China.
So do I.

We have an amazing 96 piece China set given to us when we were married. It has pride of place in a box in our garage.
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:22 pmChina pays two million people to fabricate pro-government social media posts
How much?

My fixed deposit yield isn't enough to live well on.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Dilby wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:23 am
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:22 pmChina pays two million people to fabricate pro-government social media posts
How much?

My fixed deposit yield isn't enough to live well on.
Fixed deposit yields, are you crazy?

Now I have a very interesting investment project that will return you a guaranteed 10% per annum.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Check the article. They are called the 50 cent party. But not USD 50 cent.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm LOL:
china internet>>> ur joking,right??

just tested mine on https://www.speedtest.net/result/7697862812 Ookla
and got
37.55/21.25Mbps and sundays while its raining are slow

so faster than Belgium
fiber optic and only 699 baht/month ($21.3)
update monday, sunny
108/ 24
not bad
ping 8
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

That's my personal experience of internet connectivity

Post by britscienceteacher »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm this post is plain trolling.
does the prc pay for this kind of propaganda?
I'm sorry that my experience disagrees with your views Frank. If you have ever experienced 'serious, serial internet connectivity problems' then you will know what I mean. There are many people who have absolutely idea about what goes on (and don't believe what others say) until they experience it personally. My wife is such a person, and if my son was there I usually get him to vouch for me so that she can understand. The plain truth is not desirable for many when it doesn't fit into the narrative. Reality is more nuanced than is presented by MSM.

With net neutrality now an issue, to me the trend is very clear.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"
With net neutrality now an issue, to me the trend is very clear."
I assumed you were trolling before, thanks for putting my assumptions to rest
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic