Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Beerinthemorning wrote: I wanna be a tramp, an alcoholic washed up tramp in SEA.

I hate the west, its going down hill, the ship is sinking, AUD crumbling, prices rising, wages lowering.....
Yes we know all that. Buttt. ... Choosing to slum it in Cambodia is a totally crappy idea because doing so will be more shitty than if you stayed in the awful west. :hammerhead:
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:39 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: I wanna be a tramp, an alcoholic washed up tramp in SEA.

I hate the west, its going down hill, the ship is sinking, AUD crumbling, prices rising, wages lowering.....
Yes we know all that. Buttt. ... Choosing to slum it in Cambodia is a totally crappy idea because doing so will be more shitty than if you stayed in the awful west. :hammerhead:
400USD a month is hardly slumming it.

Thats quadruple the salary of a khmer....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:47 am

Sure, every Khmer makes $100 a month. :roll: :-o
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

:stir:
John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

More do than dont, some less even.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

You're close, but not close enough, minimum wage just increased to 182$. Add to that many Khmer households live of several incomes and 400$ ain't that fancy anymore.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kammekor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:46 am

You're close, but not close enough, minimum wage just increased to 182$. Add to that many Khmer households live of several incomes and 400$ ain't that fancy anymore.
Minimum wage on paper isnt minimum wage in the real world.....

Hospitality jobs for khmers in provincial areas are hard to come across and pay 100USD a month, rice and free rent is included so it evens it up a bit.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:46 am

Minimum wage on paper isnt minimum wage in the real world.....

Hospitality jobs for khmers in provincial areas are hard to come across and pay 100USD a month, rice and free rent is included so it evens it up a bit.
iirc isnt the minimum wage only applicable to the factory workers, and doesnt count for everyone in other fields of work
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm
iirc isnt the minimum wage only applicable to the factory workers, and doesnt count for everyone in other fields of work
Correct I believe.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 am :stir:
John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

More do than dont, some less even.
We understand you have never lived or worked here and don't know anyone here, but there's no need to make up stuff. Many make far more than that, but you'll never meet them as they don't bum around in doss-house hostels. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

BITM

If you living as cheep as possible in Cambodia then ur slumming it. A westerner is in a better position than locals are. You are therefore making a bad choice on purpose when you can choose a better one.

Stop trolling and start trying to make sense.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic