Belgian Fugitive & Expat TANGUY TALLER Arrested for Cocaine Trafficking in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Belgian Fugitive & Expat TANGUY TALLER Arrested for Cocaine Trafficking in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

cambo swa wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:11 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 amNoone is immune, most begin stable, then slip slowly slowly through the cracks, either cheap beer or the shitty yama/crackpipe doesn't help.
Really? 23 years in and I haven't "slipped slowly through the cracks"; nor have any of the people I associate with. But then you and me obviously do not hang out in the same circles.
Another game of "I have been in Cambodia longer than you". So impressed. So much effort used on petty insults of other posters.
u got it all wrong,take no effort at all to insult, make beer look like a fool <
In fact, he does it all on his own most of the time :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Belgian Fugitive & Expat TANGUY TALLER Arrested for Cocaine Trafficking in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BREAKING NEWS
Sought Belgian drug smuggler caught
6 October 2018
Anti-Drug Police arrested Eddie J. Taller Tanguy, a Belgian national, at Bavet International Checkpoint in Svay Rieng Province on Thursday (Oct.4); he seemed to be trying to flee to Vietnam.

An arrest warrant for Mr Tanguy was issued by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court after he was sentenced in absentia to life imprisonment and a fine of $20,000 for drug trafficking.

He was charged in the aftermath of a drug mule’s failure to clear customs at Phnom Penh International Airport in January.

The mule, 34 year-old Belgian national David Noel Catry, was trying to smuggle over a kilo of cocaine from Brazil to Cambodia. The dope was hidden in his luggage

He confessed to being offered $30,000 by a Brazilian named Tang Guise for the job. He was charged and convicted – he got life imprisonment and $20,000 in fines.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/540084/sou ... er-caught/

Is it a coincidence that the "Brazilian" mastermind is called Tang Guise which sounds a lot like Tanguy ? The link between David Catry and Tanguy Taller is still unclear.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The owner of Hangar 44 reached out to CEO to say this:

"Hi, I’d like to reach out to you regarding some false information on one of your posts. It’s referring to the Belgian man who was recently arrested for trafficking of cocaine. There’s a post from you guys or someone commenting that he worked at Hangar 44 in PP. I am the operator and co-owner of Hangar 44. And he has never ever been employed anywhere in the Bassac Lane nor Hangar 44. And I would like to make that clear..."
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

The Guy still stay in combodia still the court decide about His senstence ?

No words ......stupidity in its pure form..... :clap:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cambo swa wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:11 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 amNoone is immune, most begin stable, then slip slowly slowly through the cracks, either cheap beer or the shitty yama/crackpipe doesn't help.
Really? 23 years in and I haven't "slipped slowly through the cracks"; nor have any of the people I associate with. But then you and me obviously do not hang out in the same circles.
Another game of "I have been in Cambodia longer than you". So impressed. So much effort used on petty insults of other posters.
Your reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

December 6, 2018
Belgian retried for drug trafficking
Phnom Penh Muniipal Court yesterday retried a Belgian man who was sentenced to life in prison in absentia in June for trafficking more than one kilogram of cocaine from Brazil to Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport in January.

Presiding Judge Chhoem Rithy identified him as Tanguy J. Taller, 36, a tourist convicted of drug trafficking together with accomplice David Catry Noel, 37, also a Belgian tourist.

Judge Rithy said that Mr Taller, who was not present during the trial on June 22, and Mr Noel were each sentenced to life in prison.

He said that Mr Taller was later arrested on October 4, 2018, at the Cambodian-Vietnamese-International Checkpoint in Svay Rieng province after he crossed the border into Bavet city.

He said that Mr Taller was sent to the municipal court for questioning on October 5 and the investigation judge sent him to prison the next day to serve the life sentence handed to him in absentia.

Judge Rithy said that after he was sent to prison, Mr Tanguy denied trafficking drugs and wrote to the court requesting a retrial.

During yesterday’s trial, Mr Taller again denied the charges against him.

He confessed that he knew Mr Noel, but he did not know about his trafficking of drugs or his personal businesses.

“The reason why I have requested the judges to conduct a retrial is because I did not agree with my sentence,” he told the court. “I did not commit any wrongdoing as alleged.”

“I met Mr David Catry Noel when he visited Brazil in June but I did not hire him to carry drugs for me as he has accused,” he said. “I do not know anything about this case. Please drop the charge and release me.”

Mr Noel testified yesterday that drugs seized from him on January 10 in Phnom Penh belonged to Mr Taller.

Mr Noel told the court that Mr Taller hired him for $3,000 to bring the drugs to an unidentified Nigerian man living in Cambodia, where he was then arrested with them at Phnom Penh International Airport.

“Mr Taller promised to pay me $3,000 for the fee of transporting the drug seized from Brazil to Cambodia,” he said. “He arranged and paid all expenses, including flights and food, transportation and accommodation.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50556472/b ... afficking/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I met him in Brazil isn't a good defense.
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

Your success in life, or your failure, often come down to hanging out in the right circles.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Rogue wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 am
Your success in life, or your failure, often come down to hanging out in the right circles.
Very true though I guess it also depends somewhat on what choices on makes.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is only speculation, but that was a very quick retrial. It's only been two months since the guy was captured. Usually when justice moves fast in Cambodia, it's because there's a reason. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic