Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Post by britscienceteacher »

I've been looking at South Africa Airlines (it's a Star Alliance Member like Ethiopian Air). South Africa's O. R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) is the busiest hub airport in South Africa and provides a direct route to South America. It flies both to Argentina and Brazil (which borders Bolivia). My question is can I book separate connecting flights with a different airline (as both countries require) and how about the question of luggage? Can I collect baggage without having to go through arrivals to pick it up? If you know a website that might have such info I'd be very grateful.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Post by cptrelentless »

If you book the flights separately yourself you have to go out and pick your bags up. Sounds like you need to speak to a travel agent.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is baggage collection always inside the transfer area?

Yes, agreed. Flights booked separately you will have to pick up your bags at baggage collection (unless there's a way to arrange baggage transfer I don't know about). I suppose the question really is - is baggage collection always inside the transfer area ie. there is never any need to go through 'Arrivals'. I don't need a travel agent - just somebody who can get reasonable internet search results, I can't.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Inter Carrier baggage transfers are possible in some cases. Sometimes free, sometimes for $20-$25 in my experience. So, you would need to find out if your chosen carrier provides this or not, generally intra-alliance (i.e. Star alliance or whoever) are no problem and free.
There may be an issue, like you would have if transiting the U.S. of having to clear customs regardless of final destination. I haven't transited Brazil since the 90's, at the time I checked my bags in at JFK and didn't deal with them again til my final destination. That was inter carrier and multiple alliance, and the flights were booked separately.
up to you...
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Thank Clemen

Clemen wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm Inter Carrier baggage transfers are possible in some cases. Sometimes free, sometimes for $20-$25 in my experience. So, you would need to find out if your chosen carrier provides this or not, generally intra-alliance (i.e. Star alliance or whoever) are no problem and free.
There may be an issue, like you would have if transiting the U.S. of having to clear customs regardless of final destination. I haven't transited Brazil since the 90's, at the time I checked my bags in at JFK and didn't deal with them again til my final destination. That was inter carrier and multiple alliance, and the flights were booked separately.
Thanks Clemen, that's great (experienced-based) advice. I'll look for an airline in the same alliance in that case. Customs is no problem. The truth is that I was once told (by airport staff) to go through arrivals on a transfer (believe it or not) and my son had to get a visa on arrival. There was no choice and I didn't want to argue and miss my connecting flight. It was about 5 years ago, and it wasn't a big problem, but needless and rather confusing. Thanks again.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Addendum to my previous, if you are going multiple carrier make sure when you check in that they take your connecting flight info for final destination. Usually intra carrier check in can see this, inter carrier usually cannot unless they add the info from your connecting Record Locator #.
up to you...
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

More great advice - thanks Clemen

Clemen wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:06 pm Addendum to my previous, if you are going multiple carrier make sure when you check in that they take your connecting flight info for final destination. Usually intra carrier check in can see this, inter carrier usually cannot unless they add the info from your connecting Record Locator #.
That makes complete sense. My sister in the UK seems to think transit visas are needed - but we will only be moving between airport terminals at most. Her browsing experience must be similar to mine. Good solid common sense advice is appreciated. Thanks again.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

According to this page http://cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us ... brazil.xml You are visa exempt for 90 days, but you say "we" and I have no idea of the nationality of the other people you are traveling with. Or, for example, Are any of them minors accompanied by only one parent? Lots of questions to answer.
up to you...
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Clemen wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 pm According to this page http://cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us ... brazil.xml You are visa exempt for 90 days, but you say "we" and I have no idea of the nationality of the other people you are traveling with. Or, for example, Are any of them minors accompanied by only one parent? Lots of questions to answer.
My wife and child too. They are both on Chinese passport and we are his biological parents. Our child has my family name.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Argentina transfer info - up to 12 hours is okay

Strangely I've had trouble finding flights that go through Brazil but have found some that go through Argentina. As long as you have connecting flights within twelve hours you don't need a visa:

http://ctoro.mrecic.gob.ar/en/node/807
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic