SUV/Truck for short driver?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

SUV/Truck for short driver?

Post by SlowJoe »

Hey,

Long time lurker here, but finally have a question I'd like to ask the community. My wife and I live in the very rural north and we've got a Ford Ranger 4x4 manual w/lift and 31" tyres. The problem however is that my wife can't push the clutch in even with the seat all the way up. So we're looking to replace it with an automatic so she can drive too. It must be a 4x4 and preferably have a low range gearbox but I'll consider a softroader if that's all that's available. Hoping for adjustable pedals because I want to drive too.

Anyone here with short girlfriends or wives have a 4x4 that works well for them? Hilux? Land Cruiser?

Cheers,
SlowJoe
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: SUV/Truck for short driver?

Post by TOG »

Tonka?

On a serious note, a Toyota Rav 4. My wife is 4ft 10" and has a few issues with most cars. A LandRover Discovery or RangeRover (her current car) will do the trick but in Cambodia, the Toyota will work. She has driven these in Singapore and Thailand and has no issues.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

I was happy with my Tacoma and my short significant other had no issues.
If you need low gears get the TRD option which comes with 4.10 gears and a rear locker and it'll crawl over whatever reasonable obsticle you throw at it. If you need lower its easy to find and install 4.56 or 4.88 gears.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:56 pm I was happy with my Tacoma and my short significant other had no issues.
If you need low gears get the TRD option which comes with 4.10 gears and a rear locker and it'll crawl over whatever reasonable obsticle you throw at it. If you need lower its easy to find and install 4.56 or 4.88 gears.

All TRD are 4x4. Most other Tacoma’s are 2WD.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why not take a block of wood, thick enough for her to be able to engage the clutch and wire it to the pedal>
seems alot easier than selling ur truck an buying another one.

or something like this

Just make it easy to remove so u can drive it as well
am sure someone can make it up for you for a few $$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

We tied a woodblock to the clutch but then the truck became a bitch to drive for myself so we scrapped the idea. She also has issues seeing over the dash so constantly carrying a cushion is annoying too. Hoping best case scenario to get something with a power seat and adjustable pedals.

I've been looking at Tacomas online so when we go to town well have a look. Hope to avoid a Rav4 and Rangie though, the Rav4 because it looks too low and I don't trust lifting it would do it good and anything Land Rover for the sheer reliability. Had an old Landie 3.9 back in the day and that was enough to put me off for life!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You could always try a trade-in for a girl with long legs .

Unusually Tall Cambodian Girl

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
lostjeremy wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:56 pm I was happy with my Tacoma and my short significant other had no issues.

Nope
There are TRD Tacome Prerunners which sit as high as a 4x4 but its only 2wd.

SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

This is the way we ended up going, an 03 non TRD version, suspension lifted maybe an inch and then put 33s on it. No rear locker option but at least has a centre locking diff. No choice and couldnt be picky though, my wife couldn't reach the pedals comfortably on any other truck. We tried a navara and a l200 but no luck.

Don't know the gearing but it's a total dog and I'm a little surprised since it's damn cramped for me (I'm over a foot taller), but my wife can reach the pedals fine with the seat all the way up. Plus side is that she likes the truck too. Drinks a hell of a lot more than the Ranger as it took 110 litres vs. the 60 needed for the Phnom Penh trip, the damn 3.4 motor is thirsty.

Not completely sold on the truck yet but having the wife being able to drive is nice so its worth it for now.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 pm
SinnSisamouth wrote:

Nope
There are TRD Tacome Prerunners which sit as high as a 4x4 but its only 2wd.

Nope.
The TRD Off-Road package was introduced in 1998. This package added a locking rear differential and was only available to PreRunner and four-wheel drive models that were equipped with a V6.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic