parting words

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

parting words

Post by bolueeleh »

@gonk when you pander to the few, you lost the support of many, free speech is double edged sword, there is no two ways about it, you cannot defend yourself or this forum as a platform with free speech when you decide which or what part of the speech to censure.

@ the people who think that your politically correctness have won, take a good look at your real life, not this virtual one that you hide behind, racism is everywhere in real life so by ignoring is not making it any better, avoiding it will only make the next generation more susceptible to it, as long as human being diversified there will always be racism, only when all human being is homogeneous racially then will racism be truly eradicated.

have a good life everyone, see everyone in the stars when we all turn into star dust (parting shot at religion as well, could not help myself) :beer3: :hattip:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: parting words

Post by TOG »

Self inflicted?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

hope you will reconsider.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Never say Never. Nothing is impossible, anything can happen...................Charles Dickens's Pickwick Papers

Otherwise...Acts 18:21
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am hope you will reconsider.
agree!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:56 pm @gonk when you pander to the few, you lost the support of many, free speech is double edged sword, there is no two ways about it, you cannot defend yourself or this forum as a platform with free speech when you decide which or what part of the speech to censure...
Cool man, thanks for the laughs over the years on here, and we'll catch up at the beach soon enough. And it goes without saying that I hope you change your mind!

I will point out a few things...

1. You say '...when you pander to the few...' In my humblest of opinions, allowing words that most people would consider 'racist/derogatory' to be used on here is what I would call 'pandering to the few.'

A member named Borum left in a huff and puff a bit ago because we deleted a post that even he himself agreed was a bit racist, and to be honest, I really have no desire to keep members who are upset they can't post stuff that most people would consider racist.

2. I'm not sure what kind of 'free speech' you thought we try to provide everyone here, but not allowing speech that most people would call racist was never one of the things we want to provide a platform for.

This isn't a 2005 AOL chatroom where it was edgy as fuck to get as many offensive words in one line as possible. The main point of CEO is to be a place where everyone feels welcome to discuss damn near anything they want, not where it's 'cool' to throw around offensive words to see if you can offend people for the sake of offending people. So to suggest free speech isn't free speech unless you allow ANYTHING to be said without any limits at all whatsoever is just silly.

And we didn't jump to action without hearing several opinions from numerous members. To be honest, I haven't thought much about the term you love love love to overuse, but I think a lot of people made a lot of valid points about it, so I think the best call is to get rid of that word on here. I personally see irony is being upset that you can't use a certain word that is blatantly offensive and derogatory. If that's the kind of 'free speech' you're after, then I'm afraid to tell you we don't make any attempts to give you that freedom here. Again, my mind is blown if you really thought you were able to say anything you wanted at all on here up until the moment we said you need to stop yelling 'chink' on every topic.

Anywho, I would rather us lose people who are upset they can't use blatantly racist terms to address the people of entire countries than to scare off people who would never even consider being a member of a place that allows such terms, and who would otherwise enjoy discussing things with us.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Is it making racism "better" ("not ignoring it, but making it better" is what you said) to use language like chinky-chink (which I always thought was weird, btw, since this is a forum where there could be Chinese people)? Certainly there are Asians here.

Reminds me of kids in class who make fun of others' names and say, "I was just joking around!" when the kid with the weird name is clearly uncomfortable. Unless a word or phrase really enhances a discussion, why use it, if it bothers others?

Just my two cents, which everyone can ignore.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

You have the freedom to start your own forum where you can say anything you want. I have the free speech to start a board where I kick off anyone who disagrees with me for the stupidest of reasons. I could kick you off for saying dogs are better than cats.

What free speech means, at least in American law — varies a lot under let's say German law, way different under Cambodian law — is that the government can't persecute or prosecute you for saying things, so long as they aren't a direct and immediate threat towards anyone.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Re: Farting words

Post by xxxxxxx »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:56 pm you cannot defend yourself or this forum as a platform with free speech when you decide which or what part of the speech to censure.
For fuck's sake. Free speech hasn't existed on this forum since 2015. You're just realizing this now?

New slogan: "CEO - Let's not make anyone uncomfortable!"

*I abhor forum censorship, but I do agree 10,000% with the banning of vladimir decision. That was 4 years overdue and even if it was a lifetime ban it would not be nearly long enough. Other than that....FUCK CENSORSHIP!!!!!
:thumb: :thumb:
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

"CEO - Let's not make anyone uncomfortable!"
that is bullying!
Locked Previous topicNext topic