PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Tarndog »

PIEMAN wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm i do not know wether the play on the fact that they know people have other things on their mind at Hospitals or they are just cheats out and out.
Seriously, you haven't figured out Cambodia yet? They're cheats!
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm Its not the same in Shv.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay.
You're close to delirious if you think your Khmer friends have your best interest at heart. Khmer always help other Khmer first.
Always? That depends on:

1). How well you treat them
2) If you're a Knowledgeable expat or a touron. and
3) your flexibility and efforts to understand their way of life.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Recently had a driver drive all around, stopping several times to look more closely, trying to find the place he said he knew of and how to get there. I contend that the drivers are both stupid as hell AND trying to scam customers.

Anyways, I got fed up and told the moron to stop. Gf and I got out. I told him I'd pay the 3000 Khr as the trip was quite short, about 1km, but he wanted me to pay the meter amount. I again offered the 3000, which he again refused. Then gf and I walked away, not paying a thing. The more barang play into their fucking games, the more they'll continue.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm Its not the same in Shv.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay.
You're close to delirious if you think your Khmer friends have your best interest at heart. Khmer always help other Khmer first.
If that's been your experience then maybe you should choose your friends better ?
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

"If that's been your experience then maybe you should choose your friends better ?"

It appears the problem lies deeper than this. All his posts that I have read are quite negative. Perhaps he should choose countries more carefully or learn to enjoy masochism.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am Then gf and I walked away, not paying a thing. The more barang play into their fucking games, the more they'll continue.
They will learn when people stand up to those doing the wrong thing.

Too many people say it is Cambodian culture, you have to go along with it. No you dont.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am Recently had a driver drive all around, stopping several times to look more closely, trying to find the place he said he knew of and how to get there. I contend that the drivers are both stupid as hell AND trying to scam customers.
Nothing in that story resembles scamming as opposed to stupidity. I think you're all paranoid if you think PassApp drivers are master navigators who are deliberately driving the wrong way in order to drive up the price of your drive by 1000 riel, for which PassApp will pay them, what 100 riel?

They're stupid. They can't read maps. That's why half the time they accept the ride and drive the wrong way, or they pull up 200 meters away from you to pick you up and then call you and say "I'm here." That's not a scam. They just can't find places on the phone map.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I find that they'll often take off in the wrong direction and when they see it on the map they turn around to the right direction.

Sometimes they just start out wrong but learn which way is right.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

I'm a fan of giving them a slightly wrong address of a neighbor I dislike so when I do need to argue, I don't worry about them sending their cousin who does B&Es to my house.

I know that will sound paranoid and overly-specific (I'm hyperbolizing a bit), but I think of it as a small insurance policy of sorts.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Kampoochie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 am I'm a fan of giving them a slightly wrong address of a neighbor I dislike so when I do need to argue, I don't worry about them sending their cousin who does B&Es to my house.
Which app has the kick-my-ass button you would accidentally press?

I mean seriously what can you possibly do so wrong they would want to come back to your house?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic