PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Captain Bonez »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm I hailed a rickshaw yesterday off the street and when I got in and we started moving he brought up some nondescript app on his phone that just read 'Taxi' that started at 3000 riel and started ticking over fairly quickly.
I was waiting on a Passapp I ordered and one rolled up so I guessed it was the right one. It had one of those Taxi apps and cost about twice normal.
I usually check the colour and the number of the rickshaw on the app is the same as the one that's arrived to help avoid headaches
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

I have been taking Grab a lot recently as they have the 3000R promo for most short rides.

Some drivers have cheap smart phones which freeze or prevent navigation. It seems they just can't handle the Grab app. I end up just telling them where to go, end the ride on my end, and show them how much I need to pay. If I was a tourist who didn't know my way I would find this very frustrating.

I also had one guy try to scam me a little bit. First he wasn't going the correct way...I'm not sure if that was to jack up the fare or he was just confused...I told him to turn around and he listened and followed my directions which was fine. I have been paying online via my Credit Card and have not had any issues with drivers understanding that. When we finished, however, he first played dumb, acting as he did not know how to end it. So i did it for him on the App. He then said I needed to pay the promotion price in cash. I told him no, that's not how it works, it is all online payment and Grab will reimburse you the promotion discount. He was being annoying so I decided to give him a 2000R tip as it was pretty late and he left. I gave a poor review and Grab actually responded to it. So I think they are trying to improve quality and transparency.

I was recently in Vietnam and had a great experience using Grab countless times. You can also pay a bit more and get the highest rated drivers there which I liked, especially for airport trips where I was scammed on one occassion. Motodops are also available which Cambodia doesn't have yet but I am looking forward to as an option during rush hours.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I use Grab a lot. Drivers have told me that they have to do a half day training for Grab, and not for the other apps. They are taught how to use the app, to stop at red lights and not to talk to the passengers. I find that they are now getting very good at using the app and at reading the maps.
The number one problem for me is drivers who accept my booking but are obviously already taking a passenger on another app. Sometimes it's not long before they show up but usually they just keep going farther away. If I cancel too many times in one week, Grab will require me to register a credit card and will charge me for cancellations. Occasionally the driver will cancel (which is OK) and sometime he messages me to ask me to cancel (which is not OK). The only solution I have found is to leave the booking open and use another app (or Grab on another phone if available). Eventually the driver always cancels because he cannot use Grab until he does.
The number two problem for me is when you set your starting location on the map, it tends to reset to some other place nearby. The only solution is to key in the name of a business that you are outside. If that name is one the database, you are OK.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I've set up Grab with a virtual ABA debit card. So you put the destination and Grab calculates the fare and it's fixed.

I've only used it once that way and had no issue. Has anyone had issues with the driver not accepting the card payment and nevertheless wanting cash?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I asked an Aeon 2 shop lady today if they accept Visa card.

She asked me if I can speak English.
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:06 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:05 pm using the expression "a wee dram" should be illegal by non Scots!
just saying

Charlie
:beer1: Especially when the non-Scot is of Irish heritage.
I get my Scots and Irishmen from the Wikipedia.
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm I've set up Grab with a virtual ABA debit card. So you put the destination and Grab calculates the fare and it's fixed.

I've only used it once that way and had no issue. Has anyone had issues with the driver not accepting the card payment and nevertheless wanting cash?
I do exactly the same thing; Grab and ABA Virtual card. Been doing it for months without any issues at all. No need to carry any small change. What bugged me about a cash basis ride is its nearly impossible to get change within 1000 riel of the true fare on PassApp or Grab on a cash basis. They always look gormless and pretend to fumble in pockets for the right change. They just wear you down and you give up.

Just set the Virtual card to a tiny daily value limit and a daily transactions limit. Mine is a maximum $10 or 5 Transactions (whichever is the greater) in any one day which more than covers all my normal daily usage but also an airport run in a car. So easy and simple...
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Just keep in mind anything less than 1000 riel is .25 cents... Dont get too frustrated.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm Its not the same in Shv.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay.
You're close to delirious if you think your Khmer friends have your best interest at heart. Khmer always help other Khmer first.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

PhnomRon wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 pm I've had some poor experiences with PassApp in the last month or so, it seems like their drivers are getting dumber.
Impossible!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic