PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm There is a 'cancel button' in the Grab app. I used it this morning, you just didn't find it. Calling the driver and asking him to cancel isn't fair. Grab will charge him for any cancellation (3000r if I remember well), but they won't if a customer cancels. So next time this happens don't rely on the driver to cancel your trip. If you make the booking and you cancel it there are no charges for the driver.
Geez I looked everywhere for it! Where have they hidden it?

Their app sucks so badly compared to the common platform PassApp/UGO711/etc use.

Also, is there any way to select your destination on a map in Grab's app? Because doing it by address is a PITA.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Which is most certainly the "I'm going to take you the longest way possible while ignoring your increasing frustration" scam when you want to go from Boeung Tompun to Toul Tom Poung. :D
I think you should consider the possibility that when tuk tuk drivers go the wrong way it's not because they are trying to scam you, it's because they are fucking stupid.
There's that.

We're in a bit of an obscure location in BT and if the usual access is blocked by a tent, the only route to our place gets very detailed. What always amuses me is the look of fear and bewilderment on a driver's face if he doesn't know the area and he's wondering how he's going to get back out, after the 10 or so directions I've given from the pagoda to our place. I will stand and talk him through getting back to 271, and he will ask me to repeat it several times ... and then drive off in the exact opposite direction.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:41 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm There is a 'cancel button' in the Grab app. I used it this morning, you just didn't find it. Calling the driver and asking him to cancel isn't fair. Grab will charge him for any cancellation (3000r if I remember well), but they won't if a customer cancels. So next time this happens don't rely on the driver to cancel your trip. If you make the booking and you cancel it there are no charges for the driver.
Geez I looked everywhere for it! Where have they hidden it?

Their app sucks so badly compared to the common platform PassApp/UGO711/etc use.

Also, is there any way to select your destination on a map in Grab's app? Because doing it by address is a PITA.
If I remember well it's hidden under your 'personal' button.
With Grab I have not yet been able to select on the map.

I prefer the passapp over Grab too. But when I have multiple destinations or there's a good promo I use Grab.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:41 pm Also, is there any way to select your destination on a map in Grab's app? Because doing it by address is a PITA.
I actually don't use PassApp myself because reasons, Mrs S does all the PassApping. I was watching over her shoulder the other day and I was frankly impressed with how you can refine the locations on the app's map by dragging the pin to a more precise location. I just wish it connected more easily.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Another scam which I don't think has been mentioned before: (PassApp) driver started the trip/meter about half way between the point where he accepted the job and where he picked me up. It was only a couple of hundred metres so I didn't bother arguing about it, but something else to watch out for.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:07 pm Another scam which I don't think has been mentioned before: (PassApp) driver started the trip/meter about half way between the point where he accepted the job and where he picked me up. It was only a couple of hundred metres so I didn't bother arguing about it, but something else to watch out for.
Crafty bugger. Imagine what these (scamming) guys could achieve if they actually put their mind to earning legitimate money.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs Stroppy reported the driver for the screenshot scam, and the official response from PassApp was that they'd "ask the driver to not do it again."

He's going to need some Tiger Balm for a burn like that.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:41 pm

top right when booking. Map does jump to the nearest known place but it works pretty well. make sure your cursor is in the 'i'm going to' box before
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Is Exnet still around? That was my Taxi app of choice
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

When are they arriving at the temple town airport? Competition would definitely be appreciated over the tuk tuk mafia over there.
Last time checked no availability of either service.

Of note, Bajaj put up a big poster offering ones for rent in missus’ commune.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic