PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Kayve »

Queef wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am My office is exactly 1.27km away from my house. Idk how this happened, but today my office was 4.52km away from my house. The app might have some issues. The driver might have found another way to con people. I will never know
Should've taken the ranger :beer1:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kayve wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am
Queef wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am My office is exactly 1.27km away from my house. Idk how this happened, but today my office was 4.52km away from my house. The app might have some issues. The driver might have found another way to con people. I will never know
Should've taken the ranger :beer1:
Can't drive during rush hour. Road rage isn't a thing here, sadly. That passive aggressive stare/ fake ass smile is though, but that's not enough for me. I took my anger out on my coworkers way too many times and they truly don't deserve that. Not at 7am
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am How hard is it to check the driver number Pxxxxx is the one you booked?
And given the cost of mobile data being so cheap is it that difficult to check your app price matches the drivers?

I round up to the next 1,000 every time and if the driver has any waiting time while i pop off to grab some groceries or waiting for a friend who we pick up on the way i often go another 1k or 2.

Seriously, take some responsibility... after all ... you don't want to end up like that poor girl in the states who got into the wrong uber and wound up dead!
All good suggestions - except when the PassApp platform has a brain-fart and can't finish out the trip. When this happens, legitimately, I give the driver a dollar on top of the expected fair and we call it even. Happens a little too often, but I put that down to the power outages making the network unstable.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Jcml19 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 am Just keep in mind anything less than 1000 riel is .25 cents... Dont get too frustrated.
Yep, exactly what the fuckling drivers are counting on, despite having taken the worst route possible. And you still give them a tip?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:33 pm
Jcml19 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 am Just keep in mind anything less than 1000 riel is .25 cents... Dont get too frustrated.
Yep, exactly what the fuckling drivers are counting on, despite having taken the worst route possible. And you still give them a tip?
Mrs Stroppy's Khmer has come along some. She can now stop a driver and berate them like a fish-wife if she suspects they're taking the mick, and does quite spectacularly. Some drivers now ask if we want them to follow the map or will we give directions. To be fair the dividers on Street 271 are not correctly marked on their system so unless they know the area they're going to drive straight into wrong-way streets.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Queef wrote:Can't drive during rush hour. Road rage isn't a thing here, sadly. That passive aggressive stare/ fake ass smile is though, but that's not enough for me. I took my anger out on my coworkers way too many times and they truly don't deserve that. Not at 7am
Road rage exists. A while back a Khmer on big bike drive up behind missus and told her to move (past the stop light and into oncoming cross traffic) or he would kill her right there. She loudly screamed at him to kill her in front of all the witnesses and she was not moving.

Missus also follows the tuk tuk/bajaj driver on google Maps and tells him where to go, when to turn, what streets to turn on, etc.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

side wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 am I use only GRAB. Here's why:

1) The price is fixed when you book it, prices seem perfectly reasonable, and often downright cheap
2) Grab frequently (like always) sends coupon promo codes for discounts anywhere from 20% - 50%

Both points have possibly been made through this long thread (which I haven't gone through), but the above facts make Grab the obvious choice.
Yep, same here. All of the issues raised in this thread are solved by using grab. Plus the prices are competitive and, as you say, constantly promotions & saving up points lets you buy a free ride pretty often.

Trying to overcharge? Grab is fixed fare

You have No internet? Grab is fixed fare

Goes the scenic route? Grab is fixed fare.

Driver can’t finish trip? You guessed, grab is fixed fare
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm
side wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 am I use only GRAB. Here's why:

1) The price is fixed when you book it, prices seem perfectly reasonable, and often downright cheap
2) Grab frequently (like always) sends coupon promo codes for discounts anywhere from 20% - 50%

Both points have possibly been made through this long thread (which I haven't gone through), but the above facts make Grab the obvious choice.
Yep, same here. All of the issues raised in this thread are solved by using grab. Plus the prices are competitive and, as you say, constantly promotions & saving up points lets you buy a free ride pretty often.

Trying to overcharge? Grab is fixed fare

You have No internet? Grab is fixed fare

Goes the scenic route? Grab is fixed fare.

Driver can’t finish trip? You guessed, grab is fixed fare
Yep, only reason why one would not use Grab is that you live in outskirt of the town. Passapp has better coverage but within city area Grab is much better. The tuktuks who drive only for Grab also has started to follow traffic rules pretty well recently.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Grabs drive me even madder. they are ven worse at understanding red lights and one way streets that passapp!.
Simple fact is there are now too many of them and they don't make the money they used to, and the cheap shit tuks are all reaching the age where they explode and require maintenances. My local passap said he used to earn $30+ a day but there are so many tuks now he is lucky to get half that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic