PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Kampoochie »

fax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 am
Kampoochie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 am I'm a fan of giving them a slightly wrong address of a neighbor I dislike so when I do need to argue, I don't worry about them sending their cousin who does B&Es to my house.
Which app has the kick-my-ass button you would accidentally press?

I mean seriously what can you possibly do so wrong they would want to come back to your house?
I've had a few tuk-tuk rides with mafia guys that made me think "huh…don't really like them knowing where i live." I also wouldn't underestimate the amount of boiling rage felt in a shame-based culture like Khmer culture — perceived slights and disrespect might as well be a slap in the face.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Sometimes they will turn the meter on a few hundred meters before picking you up to get a few pennies more.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am Recently had a driver drive all around, stopping several times to look more closely, trying to find the place he said he knew of and how to get there. I contend that the drivers are both stupid as hell AND trying to scam ALL customers.
FTFY

A tuk tuk driver will scam a Cambodian just as easy as you, when he gets the chance.
Just don't give 'm the chance and you'll be good.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Paulo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 am Sometimes they will turn the meter on a few hundred meters before picking you up to get a few pennies more.
Which doesn't work by the way.....
But they haven't found out yet.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Tarndog wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm Its not the same in Shv.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay.
You're close to delirious if you think your Khmer friends have your best interest at heart. Khmer always help other Khmer first.
The above poster said that he goes with his Khmer friends.

Why would Khmer allow other Khmer knowingly rip them off?

Know any Khmer who would deliberately let a PassApp driver cluelessly go around in circles because a barang is riding with them?

Better yet, please let everyone know who these scammer Khmer friends you have so we can avoid them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

fax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 am I find that they'll often take off in the wrong direction and when they see it on the map they turn around to the right direction.

Sometimes they just start out wrong but learn which way is right.
I had a driver today take me on the scenic route, but I was fairly convinced it wasn't intentional. He later realised his mistake, and suggested I just pay him $3 instead of the $3.25 he was due. It's only 25 cents, but the point is he wanted to make good on his mistake. Naturally I rounded up.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

My office is exactly 1.27km away from my house. Idk how this happened, but today my office was 4.52km away from my house. The app might have some issues. The driver might have found another way to con people. I will never know
side
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by side »

I use only GRAB. Here's why:

1) The price is fixed when you book it, prices seem perfectly reasonable, and often downright cheap
2) Grab frequently (like always) sends coupon promo codes for discounts anywhere from 20% - 50%

Both points have possibly been made through this long thread (which I haven't gone through), but the above facts make Grab the obvious choice.
Me, not that other crap.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'm still in the good old days of falling asleep on the back of a motorbike, safe in the hands of a trusted old motodop mate.

I still catch a tuk tuk from the airport too - the ONLY way to arrive back home.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

How hard is it to check the driver number Pxxxxx is the one you booked?
And given the cost of mobile data being so cheap is it that difficult to check your app price matches the drivers?

I round up to the next 1,000 every time and if the driver has any waiting time while i pop off to grab some groceries or waiting for a friend who we pick up on the way i often go another 1k or 2.

Seriously, take some responsibility... after all ... you don't want to end up like that poor girl in the states who got into the wrong uber and wound up dead!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic