Question for mods/admins

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Question for mods/admins

Post by General Mackevili »

Anthony's Weiner wrote:ok , trump can only be praised on the forum. Negative karma can be given to anyone for any reason, there doesn t need to be a reason, pure ignorance is enough.
Umm, was your anti-Trump post deleted? No. Sounds like you're a bit too butthurt from a negative post almost sure to upset people. You mention people sucking orange cocks and then wonder why you get neg karma.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

which came first? not butthurt thank you, just unaware how petty some of the forum members are. Cool I understand, if I don t like a man's politics, the color of his hair or am just in a pissy mood, negative karma is the answer. no need to respect that there may be 2 sides to a coin or that we all have a right to express our opinion. Thanks for your effort
Last edited by Anthony's Weiner on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Anthony's Weiner wrote:which came first?
No. Who's on first. Pay fucking attention, please.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anthony's Weiner wrote:which came first? not butthurt thank you, just unaware how petty some of the forum members are. Cool I understand, if I don t like a man's politics, the color of his hair or am just in a pissy mood, negative karma is the answer. no need to respect that there may be 2 sides to a coin or that we all have a right to express our opinion. Thanks for your effort
Try this as a litmus test. Guy walks into a bar and you’re drinking at the counter. He plops himself down next to you and then tells you about how your doing all these disgusting things, how would you feel about it?

Then he defends himself by saying that’s his opinion of you and that he has every right to express it to your face?

There’s a difference between opinion and ad hominem attacks.

Stuff that you wouldn’t have others said of your parents or family, that’s an ad hominem attack.

‘Enough said. My personal opinion only.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i'd move seats
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I would like to see the forum set up in such a way that when people list New Posts, they can choose to exclude certain Topics from the list, or Topics started by certain individuals.

This could include some way of excluding Topics about American politics, for those not interested.

That way everybody can just focus on those Topics which interest them.

This is different from blocking an individual. When you do that you still get all of the topics, just without that individuals posts. It would be good if you can block entire topics.

Is it realistic to have the forum set up like that?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

explorer wrote:
As of right now, I do not know of a way to do that with forum software.

That said, we do need to do another upgrade, and I do want to run a few things like this past them for you guys, as things always change, and maybe solutions are now available.

Technically, it would seem like you could just have a 'tagging' system and choose the tags you don't want to be able to see.

Our Dev will be shaking his head when I try to explain these things, LoL.

That said, would you really want that? We typically have about 50 active topics every day, or a bit more, and it only takes about a minute to look at the first 2/3 pages of the 'active topics' to view them all, and it seems like it's best to let yourself click on titles to open or not. We frown upon misleading titles (click bait), so you shouldn't see a discussion called '10 cheapest places to drink in Riverside' only to open a topic about Trump's haircut.

Reddit kind of has something like that with voting, but it's sweet up totally different.

You could probably hire a virtual assistant in India for a dollar a day who will go through all your favorite websites and only forward the links to things they know you are interested in.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:08 am I would like to see the forum set up in such a way that when people list New Posts, they can choose to exclude certain Topics from the list, or Topics started by certain individuals.

This could include some way of excluding Topics about American politics, for those not interested.

That way everybody can just focus on those Topics which interest them.

This is different from blocking an individual. When you do that you still get all of the topics, just without that individuals posts. It would be good if you can block entire topics.

:facepalm:
HUH:
how can an algorithm be set up to know in advance what ur interested in>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:37 am how can an algorithm be set up to know in advance what ur interested in
You could have a section for American Politics. Your search could exclude everything in American Politics.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:43 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:37 am how can an algorithm be set up to know in advance what ur interested in
You could have a section for American Politics. Your search could exclude everything in American Politics.
Read the NY Times or the Washington Post or watch Fox or CNN! :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic