Girlfriend in breakfast-revolt; need recommendations

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Girlfriend in breakfast-revolt; need recommendations

Post by Username Taken »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm
(1) She's not Khmer; she's Chinese-Malaysian, so wanting local food specifically isn't a high priority, at least for her.

(2) Neither of us has any clear idea what we'd like or want -- which if she did, would make things easier, but would also greatly reduce the efficacy of seeking recommendations.

(3) I'd hoped that someone either (a) doesn't live far from here, and/or (b) had a generically positive experience with a breakfast not far from here. The GF has to deal with a strict on-time-arrival policy at her job, so the best / most helpful responses would be structured like, "Morty's Venezuelan Salad Bar and Brownie Factory at 19 and 178 serves a great raw oyster consomme from six to eight, but you have to get there early if you want a seat."
Perhaps if you had posted that in your OP, some of us wouldn't have wasted your time, or ours..
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

OP, why do you call yourself dangerous?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

This reminds me of my wife's younger Chinese relatives in Singapore. All of the girls will not and cannot cook and they have their boyfriends/husbands wrapped round their little fingers.

Sad state of affairs. In the days...sigh....a girl friend prided herself on her looking after her man. Her mother would insist in her proving what a great catch she was.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:19 pm
Dangerous Dave wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm most helpful responses would be structured like, "Morty's Venezuelan Salad Bar and Brownie Factory at 19 and 178 serves a great raw oyster consomme from six to eight, but you have to get there early if you want a seat."
dangerous dave, as with my previous post regarding your leeching and only asking for help but doesnt contribute anything to this forum, you DONT dictate how help is given or structured, you take it as is

please look all your previous threads, from asking how to un install gas tank to buy kitchen sink to phone, i rest my case

ignore list activated
That is just as ridiculous a position to take as it was the first time, and now with the added benefit that I never have to worry about seeing it again.

Utterly, childishly absurd.

To begin with, the forum is called "ASK ____," as had been previously pointed out, and yet we are to believe that doing that very thing more than once is an egregious act of ... er, wait ... selfishness, I *guess*?

Second, the notion that a person doesn't "get to" expect civil, non-condescending responses, is beyond childish, and beyond absurd, and beyond childishly absurd, into the rarefied ground of being more or less the objective definition of sociopathic.

I mean, let's back up and really think about what this guy is saying: "Look, when you came into this referral office, you waived the right to expect an actual referral, and you'll take whatever patronizing meta-commentary the office chooses to give out."

That's insane. And objectively wrong. But most of all insane.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

No big deal, but I agree that you might have got some different/better answers to your query if it had been posted in the Food Forum as "Where Can I Take My Malaysian-Chinese Girlfriend for Breakfast in PP ? "
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:40 pm
Dangerous Dave wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm
(1) She's not Khmer; she's Chinese-Malaysian, so wanting local food specifically isn't a high priority, at least for her.

(2) Neither of us has any clear idea what we'd like or want -- which if she did, would make things easier, but would also greatly reduce the efficacy of seeking recommendations.

(3) I'd hoped that someone either (a) doesn't live far from here, and/or (b) had a generically positive experience with a breakfast not far from here. The GF has to deal with a strict on-time-arrival policy at her job, so the best / most helpful responses would be structured like, "Morty's Venezuelan Salad Bar and Brownie Factory at 19 and 178 serves a great raw oyster consomme from six to eight, but you have to get there early if you want a seat."
Perhaps if you had posted that in your OP, some of us wouldn't have wasted your time, or ours..
...Golly gee, what a great idea! Maybe if I'd said something like, "So, I live near Smile Minimart at 63 and 184 these days, and when it's just me, the preferred destination for breakfast is Le PKA Cafe at 51 and 178. But after weeks of simmering away like an island volcano, the GF is in open revolt now -- turns out she *hates* Le PKA Cafe. No problem ... except I have no idea where else to take her. And thus, once again, here I am on bended knee FOR RECOMMENDATIONS...."

...You, ah, you think *that* might have been the way to make it clearer in my original post, that I was looking for recommendations? For, you know, a restaurant? I mean, I'm open to anything: If you think that would have done the trick, I'll be sure and write it that way the next time.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Hardly anyone Cambodian has/cooks breakfast at home and therefore, breakfast fare is one of the easiest to find. Like others have said, decent bbq'd pork and rice with eggs and pickle is a great start to the day, as is noodle soup with meatballs. If you can't adjust to that, grab something from one of the bakeries and sit with her - the Asian cafés always have decent coffee, which come with a good serving of diabetes, eh I mean condensed milk. Good luck!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

TOG wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:45 pm This reminds me of my wife's younger Chinese relatives in Singapore. All of the girls will not and cannot cook and they have their boyfriends/husbands wrapped round their little fingers.

Sad state of affairs. In the days...sigh....a girl friend prided herself on her looking after her man. Her mother would insist in her proving what a great catch she was.
a girl who can cook is a very attractive trait, especially to someone who loves food, ie. ME :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

well, sound like you be gettin pussy whipped bro.
the generality offood is not so great that you can pin an area.
porkrice is safe bet maybe.
Rustic resto had a good spread but moved now, not reopened AFAIK.
PP is pretty 2nd rate in general for food.
BKK, KL and Singapore beat PP badly.
can't tell about Saigon or whatever the commies call it. i bet it is good though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic