Change your wifi password

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Change your wifi password

Post by explorer »

I have stayed in two places where the wifi was rubbish. You could very rarely log in, and then it was slow, and you often got disconnected fairly quickly. It was unusable most of the time.

Someone suggested the password had not been changed for a long time, and a lot of the neighbors were using it, overloading it.

In both places, the passwords were changed, and it worked well.

It is a good idea for anyone with wifi to change the passwords from time to time.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Change your wifi password

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Or you can just log into the router and see how many devices are logged on. This will help you figure out if it is the number of users or other issues affecting your internet speed.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

No, it's not an old password that is the problem and you can't change the password on someone elses router without knowing the Administrators password.
It's either a weak signal , so you could use a wifi repeater to get a better connection, or just cheap internet package.
I would imagine they could be limiting the amount of time or data that they would allow before cutting you off.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am No, it's not an old password that is the problem and you can't change the password on someone elses router without knowing the Administrators password.
It's either a weak signal , so you could use a wifi repeater to get a better connection, or just cheap internet package.
I would imagine they could be limiting the amount of time or data that they would allow before cutting you off.
In these situations, changing the passwords resulted in a big improvement.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:44 am
beaker wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am No, it's not an old password that is the problem and you can't change the password on someone elses router without knowing the Administrators password.
You can't change the password on someones router without having the Administrators password
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

:Bravo:
beaker wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am
You can't change the password on someones router without having the Administrators password
Isn't it his internet connection that he thinks neighbors are on? He can get past an unknown router password with a hard reset to factory.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

KickingWithRedLabel wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am :Bravo:
beaker wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am
Isn't it his internet connection that he thinks neighbors are on? He can get past an unknown router password with a hard reset to factory.
He said "I have stayed in two places where the wifi was rubbish. You could very rarely log in, and then it was slow, and you often got disconnected fairly quickly. It was unusable most of the time."

Makes me think he is talking about guest houses or hotels
jimi hendrix
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

You can change the password if no one bothered to change the default admin password. Fing and Net Analyzer are both nice to see who is on the network and don't require you to log into the router directly. In the paid versions you can see actual traffic and boot users.
up to you...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Also Avast SecureMe lets you scan and see if someone was dumb enough to leave web configuration on... These are iOS, don't know about android
up to you...
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Clemen wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 pm You can change the password if no one bothered to change the default admin password. Fing and Net Analyzer are both nice to see who is on the network and don't require you to log into the router directly. In the paid versions you can see actual traffic and boot users.
Most routers are set up by representatives of the ISP and they change the passwords
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic