Cambodia Work Permit on an ER Visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Re: Cambodia Work Permit on an ER Visa?

Post by oopsfermi »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 pm You'd probably not like Thailand either. You're not even allowed to paint your own house, because your doing a job a Thai could do.
I was in Chiang Mai when a bar owner got the fine for adjusting the volume on his club's audio system. No work permit. It is what it is.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hello OP,
It's definitely WTF because This Is Cambodia. Visa regulations in Cambodia are not logical and are changing from day to day, or from month to month. I think its because the authorities haven't really decided what they want yet, so the visa rules are still in a state of fluctuation. Do not expect logic.

Get the best info you can for right now and go with the flow. There may be a way around the problem, maybe you can find a way to explain your presence at the school as a non-worker. Also, the ER (visa extension) conditions may well change again. But, for the moment, you can have EITHER an ER and no work permit, or a EB with a work permit.

Whatever, IMO, PSD-Kiwi is probably the best source of visa info right now, so listen to what he has to say and go from there.
Good luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 pm "and most people who get work permits do so using EB visas"

No. It's the other way around, ' . . . and most people who get EB visas do so using work permits'.
First statement is most accurate...The EB EOS is a requirement to apply for the WP, although a few have managed to obtain a WP on an EG, haven't heard of anyone obtaining one on an ER yet.

WP is not required to obtain a 6 or 12 mth EB EOS, official letter of employment is...the reason being that you require a 6 or 12 mth EB EOS to apply for a WP.

ER EOS is usually stamped "Employment Not Permitted", just like the T-type Visa.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Just took a look at my ER visa and it doesn't have anything stamped on it - not that that means much.

I'd be tempted to go to immigration in PP and simply ask if its ok for you to volunteer at a school (at no pay) for X# of hours a week while on your ER visa. If they say its ok just ask for a contact # so that the school could call them to confirm.

I wouldn't try to move from an ER visa to another type unless your really sure you want to do this for multiple years - and given you've just arrived its likely too soon to really know that.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

My visa doesn't have anything stamped on it either.

The game plan at this point is to go along with whatever process is required right up until the point I'm asked to leave my passport with somebody for later pickup. The actual work permit itself shouldn't involve touching the passport, yes?

In any case this is all probably moot anyways as they took me to get my health certificate. I only went along on the promise that no needles were involved. We get to the clinic and sure enough, they want to draw blood. No thank you. That may have ended all of it right there and then, will know more tomorrow.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

oopsfermi wrote:My visa doesn't have anything stamped on it either.

The game plan at this point is to go along with whatever process is required right up until the point I'm asked to leave my passport with somebody for later pickup. The actual work permit itself shouldn't involve touching the passport, yes?

In any case this is all probably moot anyways as they took me to get my health certificate. I only went along on the promise that no needles were involved. We get to the clinic and sure enough, they want to draw blood. No thank you. That may have ended all of it right there and then, will know more tomorrow.
Was this at the labour ministry office on Russian boulevard?

In my experience they prick your finger and take a small swab. No needles.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

epidemiks wrote:
oopsfermi wrote:My visa doesn't have anything stamped on it either.

Was this at the labour ministry office on Russian boulevard?

That was the case in the past but the last 3 times I went they didn’t even bother doing that.

oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:10 pm Was this at the labour ministry office on Russian boulevard?

No. I'm way out there in the provinces.

It was a clinic, that had what appeared to be medical equipment lying about in various states of disrepair. Girls takes my blood pressure. Then out comes the tray with a syringe and a cotton swab. No packaging that I could see.

Look, it could have very well been a new syringe. And maybe in the back room was the equipment necessary to actually perform the kinds of tests that warrant the extraction of my blood. And the 20-year-old strutting around in the lab coat could very well have been a doctor with an impeccable resume; one of these Doogie Howser prodigy guys or whatever.

I'm just not taking that kind of risk to tick a checkbox in a process that I see is going to potentially end in failure in any case, especially after having been told and in emphatic terms that it wasn't going to be necessary. I'm really weary of all of the bullshit that goes along with being an expat. Visa runs are bad enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic