Crowd watched him lie screaming until he died

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Crowd watched him lie screaming until he died

Post by khmerhamster »

I have been told not to get involved. I’ve heard many stories of ‘friends’ or people they have heard of getting stung for hundreds of dollars after getting involved. I’ve yet to meet a real person with this experience.

If I see a situation where I can help then my nature is to help. I have done so on three or four separate occasions here and have only ever received sincere thanks from the patient (eventually) or their family members. I have never been asked to pay anything. Saying that, I have also driven past accidents where a crowd has gathered already and people appear to be attending to the injured, I see no point me pushing in when others are already involved.

I have had an accident here and people have come to help, for which I was very thankful for. If I can repay that help to another person then I will probably do so.

So, do what feels right for you. But if you choose not to help, then you can’t really grumble if you have an accident and no one chooses to help you.

RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

The few times we have passed an accident my lady stiffens and says don't stop and get out of here. She is not a gawker and does not want to see it. She would be the last person to flip out her phone to film it. So, we move along.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If it was a barang and I could help, then I would. Otherwise I move on, it’s just not worth the potential repercussions.

We once saw a man beating up his wife on the side of the road as we drove past. He was hitting her with a stick as he pulled her by the hair along the ground.

That was tough to see and triggered some nasty nightmares.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

fax wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:14 am The last person to touch a body on the street is responsible for the death. That doesn’t help.
Serious question... Is that true? As in the law? Or just by custom? I would not get involved with a Khmer, but I think I would if it was a westerner. However, the general consensus appears to be that you do so at your peril. I think my first question would be, "do you have medical insurance?"
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Of course it’s not true but you may be responsible for any costs.
My friend is an army medic and he’s duty bound to stop and help. He can’t help himself.

He’s never been held responsible or had to pay costs unless he wants to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic