Drivers' License Crackdown Announced by Police

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Drivers' License Crackdown Announced by Police

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Following the success of the crackdown on unlicensed drivers in Sihanoukville, it has been announced that drivers of vehicles on National Roads 1 and 6 are to be subjected to license spot-checks and fines of $100-200 in October and November 2018.

Crackdown on unlicensed motorists to start next month
24 September 2018
Traffic police will start a nationwide crackdown on unlicensed drivers next month in a bid to improve road safety.

A National Road Safety Committee statement on Thursday said that it requested the National Police to check on all motorists travelling along National Road 1 and National Road 6 to see if they have valid driving licenses, noting that the crackdown will last for two months.

Lieutenant General Run Roth Veasna, director of the traffic police department, said yesterday that the crackdown will serve to remind all drivers to be careful on the roads and that they should always carry their license.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50535835/c ... ext-month/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Drivers' License Crackdown Announced by Police

Post by StroppyChops »

Hopefully this is a new "driving a white SUV while Chinese" penalty, with additional fines for parking the SUV upside down or on top of others.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Pretty steep fine for not having your licence with you?

“We are going to announce the details of our plans to the public before the crackdown is conducted,” he said. “Our purpose is not just to check and fine them, but we want to teach motorists to be responsible on the roads and always have their license with them.”

“If they forget to bring their driving license, the $100 fine on those driving cars and $200 for truck drivers will serve as a reminder for them to always have their licenses with them,” Lt Gen Roth Veasna said.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Arget wrote:Pretty steep fine for not having your licence with you?

“We are going to announce the details of our plans to the public before the crackdown is conducted,” he said. “Our purpose is not just to check and fine them, but we want to teach motorists to be responsible on the roads and always have their license with them.”

“If they forget to bring their driving license, the $100 fine on those driving cars and $200 for truck drivers will serve as a reminder for them to always have their licenses with them,” Lt Gen Roth Veasna said.
Yeah and remember, you always have to have your passport on you too....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:05 pm
Arget wrote:Pretty steep fine for not having your licence with you?

Yeah and remember, you always have to have your passport on you too....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Don't carry your passport with you.
Make a copy of the main page, full size in color, and a copy of your latest EOS.
Have them laminated back to back in plastic.
Carry the copies and keep the original in a safe place.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

A driving like cunts crackdown would be more worthwhile in SHV
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The fact that Pchum Beun is fast approaching is totally unrelated to this renewed interest in driver responsibility I'm sure.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Tis the season to be jolly and fine people for everything. Need money for family for Pchum Beun/

Probably the unsafest time of year.
jekkar
Expatriate

Post by jekkar »

If they raised the fines years ago and stop fucking around with little 10,000R fines progress would be swift. Start slapping people with $25+ fines and impounding their shitboxes would get their attention.

Not sure what's more ridiculous, $1 speeding tickets or the fact that people argue the price is too steep.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

10000 riel fine is a shit load of money to the vast majority of the population. It’s only the barang who think it’s a joke amount, apart from the ones who are “fleeced” for $20.

The issues are deep routed and will take 15/20 years to fix.

Look at Thailand; supposed modern country but they also can’t drive/ride for shit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic