Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 pm I believe a major problem with those camping gas stoves is that when they are used with large pots the whole unit can overheat leading to explosions.
Not just the small table top gas stoves. Even the larger 2 burner stove types don't like extra large pots on them.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Does anyone have any advice on where to get one of the bigger tanks filled in Siem Reap? I just had my first empty.
How long do these usually last with regular home cooking? I do dinner and usually a small breakfast or lunch on it pretty much every day.
Last edited by Electric Earth on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:26 am Does anyone have any advice on where to get one of the bigger tanks filled in Siem Reap? I just had my first empty.
Ask your landlord, or there is quite often a phone number attached to the gas bottle. They deliver.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:26 am Does anyone have any advice on where to get one of the bigger tanks filled in Siem Reap? I just had my first empty.
How long do these usually last with regular home cooking? I do dinner and usually a small breakfast or lunch on it pretty much every day.
We use ours everyday with a double burner stove, bottle lasts a few months. Anchor Moy has given good advice on getting it filled. If no joy ask a tuk-tuk driver to take you and the bottle, you want to pay around $13 to $15 for it exchanged or filled.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:29 am
Ask your landlord, or there is quite often a phone number attached to the gas bottle. They deliver.
If you cannot give your address in Khmer, get someone to call for you. Also, check the size of the gas tank, because there is standard large size and another one a bit smaller - 15 or 12 from memory - it is marked.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I usually get about 2.5 months out of a bottle, I cook everyday and bake a few times a week. Baking chows through the gas.
Last exchange was $14.50 / 58k riel
Places that do gas often put the bottles out front by way of advertisement, like tire repair throwing old ones over a tree.
up to you...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I should add that my bottle is 15 kilo, kinda useless without that info
up to you...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got it delivered for $13.50. They were here in less than an hour and still came in and hooked up the new tank for me even though I had the old one unhooked and ready to go for them. I didn't even ask. Nice guy too. Talk about great service and price value. $13.50 to have someone bring me a new bottle and hook it up to cook for the next few months almost seems Too cheap. Crazy.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Electric Earth wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 am Thanks for the advice everyone. I got it delivered for $13.50. They were here in less than an hour and still came in and hooked up the new tank for me even though I had the old one unhooked and ready to go for them. I didn't even ask. Nice guy too. Talk about great service and price value. $13.50 to have someone bring me a new bottle and hook it up to cook for the next few months almost seems Too cheap. Crazy.

You left out the bit where you gave the guy 5,000r for good service.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 amYou left out the bit where you gave the guy 5,000r for good service.
Eh. That's questionable on many levels.
1 - I didn't set the whole thing up and deal with the guy/payment. My landlord did. I texted her, she texted me right back, they were here shortly after. She was the one who came to the door and was speaking with the guy in Khmer. I didn't really deal with him myself, and gave her the payment she asked for, which she then ended up giving to him.
2 - I'm without a job right now and am struggling to see if I can even afford to stay in Cambodia or if I'll be heading back the the good ol' US in a month depending on how the covid thing is looking at that point. This guy at least still has steady work and income. Hell, he's likely doing better for himself right now. Lots more people are staying home and cooking, emptying those home tanks. I'm normally pretty charitable and tip tuk-tuk drivers well, etc. I lived on tips for years in the US. I know the deal. That doesn't mean you have to go around throwing extra money at everyone who performs their job. This guy doesn't work for tips. Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store? I'm not opposed to throwing a Khmer person an extra dollar, but right now isn't the time.
3 - That gets into a whole bigger discussion about growing the twisted economical situation that is tipping. People shouldn't be working for tips. We should be striving toward people Not working for tips. Everyone who's putting in the effort of a good days work should be getting paid fairly for it, not hoping maybe they'll be busy enough and get the generous customers that day so that they can make enough in tips to pay rent. The US is the shining star of tipping society and the minimum wage for tipped employees is under $3/hour. It's one of the biggest industries in the country, Many people being full time adult workers, yet has among the lowest wages and no health care benefits, etc. The tip system is a fucked system. And this all goes into an even bigger issue of how it contributes to minimum wage being laughable compared to what it was 30+ years ago when people could actually live an OK life on their hard work. But I digress; that's a whole big topic in itself. I tip generously to workers who depend on it, but I'm not gonna make a habit of spreading it further.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic