Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gas bottles for stoves? (Propane refills in Phnom Penh)

Post by bangkokhooker »

The small ones blow because people put on a pot that’s too large. The flames spread out and heat up the canister causing an explosion.

It’s very rarely just because they are old but that doesn’t help. They don’t rust on the inside because there’s no oxygen.

I’m sure he will be along to argue the toss though.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

rabbit stories follows suit
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 pm The small ones blow because people put on a pot that’s too large. The flames spread out and heat up the canister causing an explosion.

It’s very rarely just because they are old but that doesn’t help. They don’t rust on the inside because there’s no oxygen.

I’m sure he will be along to argue the toss though.
You are correct. Having witnessed this from my wife putting a huge pot (would'a been around 16 inch wide) on one of those small canister burners.

And that was after having the same problem on the larger gas cooker.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

StroppyChops wrote:
eatingmore101 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm if you smell eggs, run.
What if they're, like, eggs?
Run faster.

The gas in it’s natural form is odorless, like carbon monoxide. Rotten eggs odor is added as a safety feature.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a good habit to cultivate is to check the connection at the bottle is tight before use, and the valve is turned off when finished cooking.
my in laws will not use the lpg on any account.
charcoal only
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am a good habit to cultivate is to check the connection at the bottle is tight before use, and the valve is turned off when finished cooking.
my in laws will not use the lpg on any account.
charcoal only
I like charcoal cooking, but I dislike going to a BBQ restaurant and tasting nothing but the accelerant they used to light the charcoal.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am a good habit to cultivate is to check the connection at the bottle is tight before use, and the valve is turned off when finished cooking.
my in laws will not use ththey'e lpg on any account.
charcoal only
I like charcoal cooking, but I dislike going to a BBQ restaurant and tasting nothing but the accelerant they used to light the charcoal.
Yep and if they're used for indoor cooking they're just as dangerous as bottled gas.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 pm I’m sure he will be along to argue the toss though.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using LPG bottles of any size within the house provided one turns the bottle off, at the bottle, each and every time you finish using the LPG for whatever. Problems arise when lazy users only turn the gas off at the appliance, cook top or whatever. But if designing/building a house then plan for the cylinders to be located outside a short distance from the appliance that will be using the LPG. But it is also important to ensure that each and every cylinder is secured to the building to, firstly stop theft and secondly, to be in compliance with almost every developed country "Gas Code". In the event of a fire, those cylinders perform some what similarly to a WW11 V1 or V2 rocket and are a real hazard to all and sundry. It's one thing for a LPG cylinder to burn in situ, it's quite another to have it flying around the neighbourhood.

Those small canisters were never designed to be refilled but are easily refilled with liquid LPG using an upturned LPG cylinder on a stand and a simple filling valve easily bought off ebay for us foreigners or in a large market for locals.

Good re-fillers of these small gas canisters for table top cookers, will have the LPG pass through a copper or similar coil surrounded by ice and, once the canister is filled, will check the canister weight on a scale. But don't bank on it.

And the reason LPG gas is so cheap today is because there is a global surplus of LPG at the moment. But will it last and for how long is the big question.

OML
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I believe a major problem with those camping gas stoves is that when they are used with large pots the whole unit can overheat leading to explosions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic